title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using Album Sort tag to chronologically sort albums under Album Artist

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gavin Blackett
    • Jan 2014

Using Album Sort tag to chronologically sort albums under Album Artist

Hi Folks
    I've started using the Album Sort tag to achieve an ordering of albums under Album Artist in ascending date order. I do this by adding '1970 - Abbey Road' etc. for each album.

The good news is that this works exactly how I wanted it.

The not so good knock-on effect is the option to browse by album. This is not disastrous as I hardly ever browse in this way. What is means is that all the albums are grouped under the 0-9 heading, and then ordered by release year. Is there a way I can get round this? Perhaps for it to ignore the Album Sort field?

Thanks

Gavin
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Using Album Sort tag to chronologically sort albums under Album Artist

There should be an option in Asset to put sorted items in both their sorted and unsorted locations.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Gavin Blackett
      • Jan 2014

Sorry, I'm being a bit dim. Where can I find this?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

On the configuration page 'Sort Tag Handling' set to show in both sorted and unsorted locations. That said, on any listing an album will only appear once, if the listing would include both sorted and unsorted.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Gavin Blackett
          • Jan 2014

I think that's Artist Sort Handling, and not therefore not relevant to the Album Sort tag? (And I wouldn't want the artist sorting messed up - I wouldn't want David Bowie under D and B.)

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

That option applies to all sort items I think.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Gavin Blackett
              • Jan 2014

Okay, I'll try it out. Thanks.

Comment

• Gavin Blackett
                • Jan 2014

No, just applies to Artist / Album Artist.

Comment

• candyman09
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2014

Very interesting 'cause that is exactly what I want: Chronologically sort albums under Album Artist. But... where can I find the Album sort tag ?? (still use 6.6) Or how can I set the sort tag from alphabetically to YEAR ?
                  Last edited by candyman09; 10-22-2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Edit the browse tree and add:

Album Artist

into the root and check 'a-z' and 'no track listing'

Then add another container as a child of album artist called 'Album by Release'

then restart asset
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• candyman09
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2014

Thanks Spoon ! I got into it after your explanation and some exercises. I have sorted it chronologically now so that it starts with the latest / newest Album... last thing i need to learn: HOW can I now set the order revers, so that the oldest / earliest Album comes first and the latest is the final Album in the list ?

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

You need R7 as it has a new entry Album by Release (INV)
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• candyman09
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2014

Oh that's awesome...and thanks for your quick reply, Spoon ! Gonna update my QNAP version later today .

Comment

Working...

]]>