title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Original files corrupted after batch convert

Original files corrupted after batch convert

I'm not exactly certain the extent of this issue, but allow me to explain.

Ever since I purchased the dBpoweramp software several years ago, I have exclusively ripped my CDs to FLAC (Uncompressed). Recently, I decided that, in an effort to shrink the size of my music library, I would start to rip to FLAC (Level 8) and convert all of my existing FLACs to FLAC (Level 8) as the resulting quality should be identical.

Today I ran the batch convert software which took 6.5 hours to convert approximately ~7000 files. At the end I was presented with 4 reported errors:

Code:
    Error converting to FLAC, 'M:\Music\FLAC\Trance\DJ Freddy - [2000] Scream Vol. 4\1-10 Audio Soul Project - Back To Joy.flac' to 'M:\Music\FLAC COMPRESSED\Trance\ - []\-  - 1-10 Audio Soul Project - Back To Joy.flac'
       Error reading metadata

Error converting to FLAC, 'M:\Music\FLAC\Trance\Freddy - [2000] Scream Vol. 3\1-08 Peace Division - Got 2 Get (Vocal).flac' to 'M:\Music\FLAC COMPRESSED\Trance\ - []\-  - 1-08 Peace Division - Got 2 Get (Vocal).flac'
       Error reading metadata

Error converting to FLAC, 'M:\Music\FLAC\Trance\Groove Armada - [1999] Vertigo\1-05 Groove Armada - If Everybody Looked The Same.flac' to 'M:\Music\FLAC COMPRESSED\Trance\ - []\-  - 1-05 Groove Armada - If Everybody Looked The Same.flac'
       Error reading metadata

Error converting to FLAC, 'M:\Music\FLAC\Trance\Paul Oakenfold - [1997] Global Underground 004; Oslo\1-01 Artemis - Elysian Fields.flac' to 'M:\Music\FLAC COMPRESSED\Trance\ - []\-  - 1-01 Artemis - Elysian Fields.flac'
       Error reading metadata

Error converting to FLAC, 'M:\Music\FLAC\Trance\Paul Oakenfold - [1997] Global Underground 004; Oslo\1-08 John Digweed & Nick Muir Present Bedrock - Set In Stone.flac' to 'M:\Music\FLAC COMPRESSED\Trance\ - []\-  - 1-08 John Digweed & Nick Muir Present Bedrock - Set In Stone.flac'
       Error reading metadata
    Upon investigating, all of the specified files exist with a size of 0kb and can no longer be played by any player software. Strangely, despite the second reported error, the conversion appears to have been successful for the Groove Armada track, as a new file exists with all proper metadata and the proper length (though I have not yet listened to it...)

All other tracks with an error failed completely to be converted.

Here's the thing...

I know for a fact those files were not 0kb before I began the operation. Certainly neither track on the Oakenfold CD, as I listened to them recently via Plex Media Server. This can only mean that somehow the batch convert process corrupted these files. I am worried however, that there are more errors I will discover after the fact, such as files that had been successfully converted and then corrupted after the conversion took place (preventing an error).

Looking up this issue has yielded few results. Is there any explanation why this might have occured? I have never experienced dBpoweramp corrupting my files. Had I expected this sort of behaviour I would have copied the directory first and converted the new files. I am using Release 15.1.

While I regularly back-up my music library, all of the tracks with errors are more recently ripped files, and as such I have yet to have back-ups for those discs.

EDIT:

I did a little more investigating and it appears that at least one of these tracks seems to have been previously corrupted, and luckily these 5 are the only 0kb files that exist in the library folder, so some must have become corrupted before. I know the Oakenfold files were good files at some point, so I am clueless as to what happened.

The thing that concerns me is that the Groove Armada track converted successfully, and now the originally file is 0kb, so I still think the batch conversion had something to do with at least one file.
    Last edited by dlovas; 04-20-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Administrator

Re: Original files corrupted after batch convert

Batch Converter opens the source files as read only, it cannot damage the files. However the Operating system might detect there are issues with the file record and set the file to 0KB if there is corruption. The same would happen if you played the file.

Hey Spoon, thanks for the reply. What confuses me is that one of the 0kb files seemingly produced a full length track in the destination directory which plays without issues and is complete with metadata. How could this have happened if the file was corrupted prior to the conversion?

In any event dBpoweramp is my favorite software :D and I can just re-rip these 5 files.

Administrator

The corruption possibly happened after conversion.