title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping from CD/DVD drive to desktop file stopped being in stereo

Ripping from CD/DVD drive to desktop file stopped being in stereo

I just got dBpoweramp, and I could not find any posts here that address my particular problem. My project is to rip my CD collection to WAV files on my computer. Then to convert the WAV files to MP3 to fit onto a USB thumb drive for use in my car. The process seemed to be successful when ripping commercial cds.

However, I have about a dozen cd-rs that I wanted to rip, then convert to MP3. the first four of them seemed ok. After that, the files ripped to the desktop no longer played in stereo even though they were stereo on the original cd-rs. When I put the original cd-rs in the cd/dvd drive to populate the CD Ripper program, I could click on individual songs through the Ripper and hear them in stereo. As far as I know, I did not make any changes to the program to account for this problem.

The problem should have nothing to do with a lack of space. The desktop still has over 300 MB of space remaining, and the thumb drive still has nearly 40 GB of space remaining. I even tried a second USB thumb drive with 115 GB of space, but that also played back in mono. The problem does not appear to be because of a single brand of cd-r. I have mainly used Sony and Memorex. Each of those two brands have some of the successful and the not successful stereo rips. Has anyone seen this problem before? If so, is there a solution? If I can't have the rips remain in stereo, the program is of no use to me.

I also have had another problem regarding the batch converter. I was hoping to be able to batch convert a whole bunch of files from WAV to MP3 without having to babysit the process (hopefully even overnight). Often, after less than an hour's time, the batch converter would slow to a crawl then finally freeze up, and I would have to restart the computer and start the batch process all over again. What's up with that? Is there a limit as to how many cds can be batch converted in a session? Thanks for any help you can provide re these problems.

Darrell

Administrator

Re: Ripping from CD/DVD drive to desktop file stopped being in stereo

On the Wave encoder settings, Channels should be set [as source] and look at the DSP effects tab, there should be no DSP effects there.

>Often, after less than an hour's time, the batch converter would slow to a crawl then finally freeze up

The converting program freezes, or the whole computer freezes up?

1. On the DSP effects tab, there is Replay/Gain. Again, there was no conscious effort to make an changes in the DSP effects tab.

2. Only the converting program freezes, not the whole computer.

3. Today, I also tried to rip a commercially available disc to my desktop WAV folder to see whether the problem was with cd-rs or with all discs. This rip also played back in mono, so the problem is not only with cd-rs. I again used the source cd to populate the CD Ripper program. Once again, I could play the cd through the Ripper and hear it in stereo. It appears that what is going into the Ripper is stereo, but what comes out is perfectly good mono. However, mono is not what I want when the source cd is stereo. Why this is happening now after a large number of previous cd rips were successfully in stereo baffles me.

Administrator

Run this to clear the settings:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...rom-the-System

then reinstall and rip a cd to wave but not change any settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Run this to clear the settings:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...rom-the-System

then reinstall and rip a cd to wave but not change any settings.
    Your suggestion worked. I am getting stereo on my rips again. Why did that help? Was that a problem I inadvertently caused, or did something else happen?

Separately, when I convert WAV files to MP3, the conversion speed is mostly 5x or 6x speed. Is that normal? Are those speeds normal for other types of conversions (e.g. FLAC to MP3, etc.)? Is there any chance the conversion speed can be increased? Speaking of speed, I have a CD-R I created from a Harmon Kardon stand-alone recorder in 1994. The Memorex disc still plays back fine. However, when I tried to rip it to the desktop, the speed was no more than 1/3 of 1x whereas most rips are at speeds of up to 30-40x. At that rate, a rip could take all day. Any ideas how, or even if, this rip speed can be increased to a more normal rate? Sorry for all the questions, but I have a lot to learn about this program. Thanks for your help.

Darrell

Administrator

CD-R which are degraded are hard to rip.

If the reset program worked, it was likely something was set to mono.