title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still confused about offsets

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Still confused about offsets

For example, I use foobar2000 mobile on my iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you specify which software players you are using on the phone and the mac? Perhaps you can try different (gapless) player software?
    I just use the music app on the iPhone. I sync my phone to my computer and play the music the same way you would play songs from the iTunes Store or other download sites. It confuses me that this has nothing to do with offsets because it sounds logical to think that because the drive is reading the disc too early, the beginning of a song will bleed into the ending of another if there is not enough silence to separate the two. You guys are more knowledgeable about this than I am but I am wondering why else this would happen, considering the fact that I haven’t found more than maybe 2 people who have run into this.

Administrator

Apples player as far as I know is not a gapless player.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've forgotten if you've already answered this, but have you tried to play these files somewhere else (a different computer or a different player, maybe a friend's). I want to make sure that you have confirmed that the files are good, but only cause pops on your Mac and iphone.

dBpoweramp Guru

the music player on my iphone/ipad will play gapless (if I have gapless source material). I've only tried this with mp3 files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc410 View Post
    It confuses me that this has nothing to do with offsets because it sounds logical to think that because the drive is reading the disc too early, the beginning of a song will bleed into the ending of another if there is not enough silence to separate the two. You guys are more knowledgeable about this than I am but I am wondering why else this would happen
    Because the player software is not gapless? As I said, try using different gapless player software.

dBpoweramp Guru

Because the player software is not gapless? As I said, try using different gapless player software.

agree. I've suggested he install foobar2000 mobile app on the iphone as a player (check app store). It will automatically access the songs from the same library as the music player uses, so it's easy to use (synching songs to the phone doesn't change).

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    agree. I've suggested he install foobar2000 mobile app on the iphone as a player (check app store). It will automatically access the songs from the same library as the music player uses, so it's easy to use (synching songs to the phone doesn't change).
    I'm sorry, I think I could describe the situation a little better. The Apple player is gapless. I understand what you are thinking - if the player isn't gapless, then there will definitely be pops etc. What I am hearing is only noticeable when I am shuffling songs. Playing gapless albums works great when I am playing the songs in order. Shuffling the songs from different albums reveals the pops. I downloaded the foobar200 app, and I like it, but the same situation occurs. I think the issue has to do with the actual files and not my players.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm sorry, I think I could describe the situation a little better. The Apple player is gapless. I understand what you are thinking - if the player isn't gapless, then there will definitely be pops etc. What I am hearing is only noticeable when I am shuffling songs. Playing gapless albums works great when I am playing the songs in order. Shuffling the songs from different albums reveals the pops. I downloaded the foobar200 app, and I like it, but the same situation occurs. I think the issue has to do with the actual files and not my players.
    Have you tried these files on some other computer or player (maybe a friends). Something is not normal and it has nothing to do with offsets. But you shouldn't be getting these pops.

edit: Your iphone is not connected to an external DAC of some sort is it?
    Last edited by garym; 03-30-2020 at 05:26 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm sorry, I think I could describe the situation a little better. The Apple player is gapless. I understand what you are thinking - if the player isn't gapless, then there will definitely be pops etc.
    I'm sorry too, but you have no idea what I am thinking and it is this sort of assumption that makes troubleshooting these issues so difficult, in the forum format.

Have you tried using different gapless player software and if yes, what are your findings?
    Last edited by mville; 03-30-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Have you tried these files on some other computer or player (maybe a friends). Something is not normal and it has nothing to do with offsets. But you shouldn't be getting these pops.

edit: Your iphone is not connected to an external DAC of some sort is it?
    Yes, the files are the same on other computers. I am connecting my phone to an external amplifier. Perhaps that could be the cause of the problem.

I'm sorry too, but you have no idea what I am thinking and it is this sort of assumption that makes troubleshooting these issues so difficult, in the forum format.

Have you tried using different gapless player software and if yes, what are your findings?
    I agree that the forum format can create confusion. I have been backed up with work-related things but I will try something other than foobar2000 or the Apple player to see what happens.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, the files are the same on other computers.
    To be clear, you take these same exact files and play them on a completely different system (not your phone, not your computer, not anything in your system, but some entirely other playback chain)? And when you do, the playback still exhibits the same problems?

To be clear, you take these same exact files and play them on a completely different system (not your phone, not your computer, not anything in your system, but some entirely other playback chain)? And when you do, the playback still exhibits the same problems?
    Yes. I uploaded the files to my Google drive, downloaded them on an entirely different computer, and listened with headphones. My gut tells me the issue has to do with the files. I should mention that the files are being reported as either accurate or secure. They just do not have correct starting or ending times. The most clear examples of this are with songs that just end without a proper fade-out or decaying sound. The next track abruptly begins with a sliver of the previous track audible at its very beginning. This does not happen on albums that have enough silence between tracks. I feel like this issue is being caused my drive. The files do sound mint and without any other inadequacies.
    Last edited by joeyc410; 04-13-2020 at 06:44 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes. I uploaded the files to my Google drive, downloaded them on an entirely different computer, and listened with headphones. My gut tells me the issue has to do with the files. I should mention that the files are being reported as either accurate or secure. They just don&*8217;t have correct starting or ending times. The most clear examples of this are with songs that just end without a proper fade-out or decaying sound. The next track abruptly begins with a sliver of the previous track audible at its very beginning. This does not happen on albums that have enough silence between tracks. I feel like this issue is being caused my drive. The files do sound mint and without any other inadequacies.
    Thanks for the clarification. This is very weird. I've not seen anything like this. I've probably ripped over 80,000 tracks (many thousands of CDs) with dbPoweramp and I've never seen this outcome. These include gapless CDs (live albums), etc. And I've done this across probably a half dozen CD drives, and 4 or 5 different computers over the last many years using the product. Offset has always been automatically setup when installing dbpoweramp on a new computer. Sorry I have no more ideas for detecting the source of this problem.

edit: I do have one more idea. Buy a different drive and experiment with that. It doesn't have to be an expensive drive. I've always had 3 or 4 drives I use with ripping (some just freebies taken out of trashed computers) and others really cheap purchases. CDs that won't rip accurately with one drive may rip perfectly with the other. (that said,99% of my rips are just fine on the first drive I try them on).
    Last edited by garym; 04-13-2020 at 06:52 PM.