title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Normalisation Gain

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Normalisation Gain

I'm batch ripping a few hundred CDs. I've noticed in the Notes this line on most discs:

Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping, gain has been reduced to prevent this: Loudness=-18.19LUFS, Gain=0.19dB, Maximum True Peak=-1.00LUFS, True Peak=-0.00LUFS, New gain=-1.00dB [clDSP::EndConversion]

What does this mean? I am using replay gain DSP, but my understanding is that doesn't change the audio, just generates a tag for my player to adjust playback volume. The above statement sound like it may be changing the audio with "Normalisation Gain". I do not have a normalisation gain DSP set up or enabled. Is this adjusting the audio in my rips?

Below are my settings. What is "Disable Clip-prevention"? Could this somehow be the cause of the above message? What happens if I disable it?

replaygain.JPG

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Normalisation Gain

Message means it is changing the TAG adjustment value. It is NOT changing the actual audio. I would NOT recommend disabling clip prevention. If you did, in certain (likely rare) cases, the RG tag value would raise the volume too much creating clipping.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Normalisation Gain

Excellent, thank you.