title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper "hangs" - 0.0x rip speed

CD Ripper "hangs" - 0.0x rip speed

I have a computer with 4 disc drives.

After replacing one of those drives, I get a problem where ripping does not progress on the new drive. CD Ripper just kind of "hangs" and ripping speed stays at 0.0x. If I let it run for a really long time (10 min +, it will report "Pass 1 Ripping x%" and the "X" % will move up very slowly. But, it doesn't create any audio files.

If I move the SATA cable from the drive that's not working to another drive, the problem moves with that SATA cable! So, the drives are all fine, but there's a problem with whichever drive is assigned drive letter "E" only.

I would have assumed there was something wrong with that SATA cable connection, but, strangely, I can rip CDs without any issues on all 4 drives with JRiver Media Center. The problem is blocking dbPoweramp CD ripper, but not JRiver.

I uninstalled AnyDVD, which has caused problems in the past.

I used ImgBurn to make sure that no filter drivers are in use.

CD Ripper Options>Communication is set to SCSI Pass Through (SPT)

Any ideas?

Re: CD Ripper "hangs" - 0.0x rip speed

2nd problem - I completely uninstalled and reinstalled dbPoweramp Ref16 to try to troubleshoot the problem. Now, when ripping to FLAC, I get the following errors:

Disc 1: Miles Davis - At Newport 1958 Reject 1: Ripping Error
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\01. Introduction by Willis Connover.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\01. Introduction by Willis Connover._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\02. Ah-Leu-Cha.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\02. Ah-Leu-Cha._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 3' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\03. Straight, No Chaser.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\03. Straight, No Chaser._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 4' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\04. Fran-Dance.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\04. Fran-Dance._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 5' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\05. Two Bass Hit.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\05. Two Bass Hit._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 6' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\06. Bye Bye Blackbird.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\06. Bye Bye Blackbird._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 7' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\07. The Theme.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\07. The Theme._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Administrator

You have set the output location to 'A:' are you sure that location exists and is writable?

Quote Originally Posted by amargolis86 View Post
    2nd problem - I completely uninstalled and reinstalled dbPoweramp Ref16 to try to troubleshoot the problem. Now, when ripping to FLAC, I get the following errors:

Disc 1: Miles Davis - At Newport 1958 Reject 1: Ripping Error
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\01. Introduction by Willis Connover.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\01. Introduction by Willis Connover._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\02. Ah-Leu-Cha.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\02. Ah-Leu-Cha._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 3' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\03. Straight, No Chaser.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\03. Straight, No Chaser._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 4' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\04. Fran-Dance.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\04. Fran-Dance._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 5' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\05. Two Bass Hit.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\05. Two Bass Hit._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 6' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\06. Bye Bye Blackbird.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\06. Bye Bye Blackbird._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 7' to 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\07. The Theme.flac'
    Error unable to open File 'A:\!CDWIP\JY\At Newport 1958 54916\07. The Theme._' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Update: this 2nd problem was solved by ripped file target to a local target instead of a NAS. It used to work fine to rip to the NAS, so I would still be curious if you have any ideas as to how to solve that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You have set the output location to 'A:' are you sure that location exists and is writable?
    Yes, it does exist and is writable. It is a network share/NAS. Ripping to WAV or another format to that location works fine. It seems only to be a problem with the FLAC encoder?

@Spoon I should not have confused this thread by mentioning the second problem...

The first problem from the original post is the one that has me really stuck.

Any ideas or assistance would be very appreciated. Thanks very much.

Administrator

Start windows in safemode, this will ensure there is no software blocking drive E

Quote Originally Posted by amargolis86 View Post
    I have a computer with 4 disc drives.

After replacing one of those drives, I get a problem where ripping does not progress on the new drive. CD Ripper just kind of "hangs" and ripping speed stays at 0.0x. If I let it run for a really long time (10 min +, it will report "Pass 1 Ripping x%" and the "X" % will move up very slowly. But, it doesn't create any audio files.

If I move the SATA cable from the drive that's not working to another drive, the problem moves with that SATA cable! So, the drives are all fine, but there's a problem with whichever drive is assigned drive letter "E" only.

I would have assumed there was something wrong with that SATA cable connection, but, strangely, I can rip CDs without any issues on all 4 drives with JRiver Media Center. The problem is blocking dbPoweramp CD ripper, but not JRiver.

I uninstalled AnyDVD, which has caused problems in the past.

I used ImgBurn to make sure that no filter drivers are in use.

CD Ripper Options>Communication is set to SCSI Pass Through (SPT)

Any ideas?
    Spoon I'm sorry for convolution the thread by bringing up a 2nd problem. Let's forget about the FLAC writing problem for now as I have found a workaround for that.

This first problem continues to persist. It is definitely some kind of software issue. Something is blocking ripping from starting on the "E:" CD drive...it works fine on the other 3 drives! To experiment I renamed all the drives without moving any cables around. Whichever drive is named "E:" fails to rip. So strange!

Administrator

Start windows in safemode, this will ensure there is no software blocking drive E

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Thank you for the tip. I just restarted Windows in Safe Mode and the problem still continues!

I just reset the drive letters so that there is no longer an "E:" drive. Now it's working again. Thanks for your replies.

I can't think of what could be blocking dbPoweramp's access to the "E" drive and why other software can access it but not dbPoweramp. I have uninstalled all non-essential apps. Anyway...this is a fine solution for now.

Thanks.