title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Compilation Cd's show up as individual folders

Compilation Cd's show up as individual folders

What settings do I use to rip a CD of a compilation disk, say, Christmas Music, to one folder with all of the individual tracks included. Currently it makes a separate folder for each track. if I select compilation it eliminates the individual track data. Currently I rip then after the fact drag and drop the track form each folder into a common folder but there must be a better way, Ive tried a few setting but cant see to find the right ones. Thanks very much in advance

Administrator

Re: Compilation Cd's show up as individual folders

Set a single album artist for the whole CD.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Set a single album artist for the whole CD.
    Even if it is something like: Various Artists

Also, you shouldn't need to do this if you tick the "compilations" box on the CD Ripper page.

EDIT: Actually, most likely you don't have the dynamic naming settings setup to deal with putting compilation disks into the same folder. Below is what I use (and this automatically puts compilation disks into a single album folder). Note that the naming string below works with compilations or noncompilations and also deals with multidisk albums if they exist. One string handles all these options automatically.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
    Last edited by garym; 02-20-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks Garym. FYI. I did remove the angle brackets before and after the default <various artists> as per Spoons recommendation, and used both the words Various Artist and other made up names. As well I checked the compilation box on the first screen as well as the compilation box that show up when you select "Set" for changing the naming path. I'll try your naming path today, thank's very much for that. You should know I've concluded that it seems some of the time its the way the meta data is attached to the CD. My testing on a three disk box set complication, two of the three disks give the data differently than the third. I tried several different settings. Can't expect perfection I guess. Interestingly sometimes when I rip with dB power amp to my desktop (Mac OS) then copy to my NAS, the album data shows differently but when Roon reads it sorts it out 95 % of the time. In high end audio there are many all in one devices that rip the CD to an enclosed drive. Ive never bought one cause it seems like a short term purchase but clearly they must have Meta data issues that you simply can't do anything about except perhaps in the Roon core side where you can add info after the fact. Cheers. Steve21

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, I often have to manually edit my metadata on multidisk compilations before or after ripping because of inconsistencies across the disks. The metadata databases certainly have a bit of messiness. And with classical music, they are a real mess.

p.s. if you are using OSX (Mac) version of dbpoweramp, all the backslashes in my naming string have to be changed to forward slashes.

Thanks very much.