title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Making one big Ripped Album out of multiple artist CD set that retains artist search

Making one big Ripped Album out of multiple artist CD set that retains artist search

OK, I have been ripping since the 90's. Have been using dBpoweramp since I bought my first Slim Devices SB2. Since I use large servers and a 4TB USB in the vehicle I especially don't want CD Volumes or sets broken out as each CD IE I ripped the Johnny Cash The Legend 4 CD set to Johnny Cash the Legend as 1 of 1 with track 1 though 104 using the adjust track feature on disks 2, 3, and 4. I don't need clutter having each CD in the set listed separately. I have done this with every multiple CD set I have, so now to my current issue:

I just received my 10 CD set "West Coast Jazz Volume Two". The CDs are titled West Coast Jazz Volume Two Vol. 1, West Coast Jazz Volume Two Vol. 2 all the way through Vol. 10. The CDs themself have One, Two, or Three Artists on them (the single artist ones are basically that artist's album from 1955 or 1958 whatever. Long story short, changing the "Album" title to the same thing wasn't enough to keep it as one big CD with 147 tracks, it is 10 Albums with Album Two starting with track number 18. So I am guessing that in years past, the Artist and Album name matched on those other large sets so that is why it worked in the past.

So my question is, how would I set up the fields to get this to be one long album, BUT still allow me to search by Artist if I wanted to see all of Chet Baker's songs in my whole collection and/or just this 10 CD Set for example? Can't use composer because in Jazz, everybody does a version of everybody else's tunes (I have 251 Jazz Artists doing "My Funny Valentine"). By the way speaking of Chet Baker, it is his version of "My Funny Valentine" that is in the National Recording Registry of Songs.

Thanks . . .

Administrator

Re: Making one big Ripped Album out of multiple artist CD set that retains artist sea

Set an album artist for all discs to be the same.

Re: Making one big Ripped Album out of multiple artist CD set that retains artist sea

Thanks Spoon. And I could still put each Artist on the disk in the Artist field separated by Commas so that they searchable or is it better to drill down in the details and make sure the specific artist is noted and edited in Meta per specific song and not done Globally?

dBpoweramp Guru

on any given track, I'd put the artist or artists for that track in the ARTIST field (using ";" separator (semicolon) if I have multiple artists for that track). Then for ALBUM ARTIST, I'd put the same thing for all tracks (Various Artists, Various Jazz Artists, or whatever). And of course same name for all in ALBUM.
    Last edited by garym; 02-10-2020 at 04:17 PM.