title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD ripper tagging

CD ripper tagging

I'm a complete numpty and I'm now lost!!
    In an attempt to get my cd's which are ripped to FLAC to play in album order rather than alphabetical order via my NAS and Linn streamer, I've been looking at albums on my NAS that do play in the right order and I've been editing the tagging to try and emulate that - to the point now where after ripping it just comes up with error messages.
    How do I get back to the original settings???
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

Administrator

Re: CD ripper tagging

For the naming string, select the option to choose the default value, ensure your ripping path is valid.

Your UPnP server controls the track order, if your NAS supports Asset:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

There should be no issues, it is nothing to do with filename.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    For the naming string, select the option to choose the default value, ensure your ripping path is valid.

Your UPnP server controls the track order, if your NAS supports Asset:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

There should be no issues, it is nothing to do with filename.
    Thanks for responding.
    It's interesting that you say that the filename has nothing to do with it. My older files ripped on an older windows version of DBpoweramp and transferred to my new NAS, seem to have different tagging and play in numerical not alphabetical order. Why would that be?

Thanks for responding.
    Thing is, older ripped cd's using a windows pc and an older version of DBpoweramp, transferred to my new NAS, seem to have a different tagging chain and play in numerical album order, not alphabetically as the new ones via my Mac do. Why would that be?

Administrator

What is the UPnP server? if Twonky it is known to have issue with tagging standards.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@sunset View Post
    Thanks for responding.
    It's interesting that you say that the filename has nothing to do with it. My older files ripped on an older windows version of DBpoweramp and transferred to my new NAS, seem to have different tagging and play in numerical not alphabetical order. Why would that be?
    Spoon is correct. It is normal for the media server on your NAS to use metadata for organising your music. Physical factors such as filename and storage location would normally only be relevant when you select a 'folder view' option on your Linn streamer (if such an option is provided by your server).

I may be misinterpreting what you mean, but the fact that you say that your older files "seem to have different tagging" suggests that you have not yet checked your tagging in any depth. dBpoweramp allows you to control the metadata stored during the ripping process and you may have configured your old version of dBpoweramp differently from your current version. Consistent tagging is vital and the devil is in the detail. It's worth spending time to get it right. What software do you use for reviewing and updating your tagging?

I've found the issue. It was deep within the bowels of QNAP media streaming add on.
    By changing "Music title display style" to "Track - Title", it did the trick
    Thanks