title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Music keeps cutting out

Music keeps cutting out

Hello. I have recently purchased a QNAP NAS and am trying to get Asset running. Although it can see my music and starts to play, it keeps cutting out every few seconds. I am using a Naim SuperUniti, and I have also noticed that the Asset server on both the Naim App and the front panel display keeps disappearing and reappearing every few seconds. It's there, it's not there, it's there, it's not there, and so on.

I've narrowed this down to Asset as my Naim will play fine using the built in QNAP server. It also plays fine from a Netgear NAS.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue might be?

Many thanks.

Administrator

Re: Music keeps cutting out

There is no wireless involved between QNAP and Naim player? or any ethernet over power socket adapters?

No, it's all dedicated network cables via a switch. Just to double check, I relocated both the Naim and the QNAP adjacent to my switch and plugged them directly in, using different patch cables and different ports on the switch. Still the same problem.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 02-05-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Administrator

What format is your music?

Flac. However, just to check, I have also tried with mp3 and the same thing happens. I think the issue is not so much with playing music but something more fundamental with the Asset server. As I mentioned, this keeps disappearing and reappearing in the Naim App.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 02-06-2020 at 03:57 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I doubt this is an Asset problem, probably a connection drop out between your control point (what is it? iOS or Android), maybe the Naim app.
    I suggest before you go to Naim or QNAP, you try a complete system power cycle, turn everything off, including the IPS wireless hub (router), leave it all off for at least 5 minutes so the ISP system logs that you're off.
    Restart the system in the following order
    Wireless router - let it fully complete its start process.
    LAN switch if installed
    NAS - let it complete its start process
    Naim - this should find the network automatically but may need some time or manual help with the front panel buttons.
    Control Device, in some cases of network discovery problems it might be worth to delete the app, clear the RAM & saved screens & power cycle, then re-install the app.
    Last edited by Mike-B; 02-06-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the problem report.

If the problem persists, please enable debug logging in Asset settings, recreate the problem and send a configuration dump (includes recent logs) to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

Mike-B: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really see how it can be a control point problem (I am using iOS) as the same issue occurs on the Naim itself. The front panel display which shows a list of UPnP severs keeps changing, with Asset disappearing and reappearing. If I attempt to play a track using the buttons on the unit, the same problem occurs. I have already tried powering off and on in the sequence you suggest, albeit without re-installing the app.

PeterP: Thanks, will do.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the debug telemetry.

Apparently this is not a network or performance issue, Asset process keeps crashing and restarting - which would be consistent with Asset constantly disappearing and reappearing.

Does updating to the latest Asset beta help?
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...x-amp-Mac-beta
    No need to uninstall/reinstall, simply install over, registered status will be preserved.

Super Moderator

Update:
    Posted Asset R6.5 beta 5 (link in previous post), added a new feature (status log) to get more detailed telemetry for this bug.
    Please trigger the bug and send me the status log, it should contain lines about Asset process getting restarted.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really see how it can be a control point problem (I am using iOS) as the same issue occurs on the Naim itself. .............
    I suggested it because I had what sounds like the same or similar
    I ran an all system power cycle, deleted the Naim app, cleared the iOS RAM, reinstalled both the app & the latest Asset. It took no longer than 30 minutes & it fixed the problem but as I did it all at the same time (no control) I don't really know what was the actual fix. I suspected some bad/corrupt links somewhere.
    Last edited by Mike-B; 02-11-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the new details.
    Attempted fix in R6.5 beta 6-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...x-amp-Mac-beta

Please report if it's fixed or not. Apparently it was not a crash after all - there seems to be something hammering web interface's restart command every 15 seconds or so, perhaps web browser's page prefetch feature. In the new version, I made the command use HTTP POST instead of GET - using GET for this type of thing was more or less asking for trouble I guess.

All sorted now I'm on the latest release of the Beta. Many thanks to PeterP for his help, great service and very much appreciated.