title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues with R6 scanning on QNAP.

Issues with R6 scanning on QNAP.

I’m having multiple issues with R6.x and scanning.

Historically I’ve run Asset with minimal if any issues on a QNAP HS-251+ from R4 through to R6.4.

The first issue occurred when R6.4 Registered started showing an Eval browse tree.

On re-installing R6.4 Registered when the scanning got to about 65,000 tracks it would freeze the QNAP.

I’ve now installed R6.4 and 6.3 on a TVS-871 and still having issues.

I’ve now removed R6 form the TVS-871, restarting the box and will try R5.1.1 overnight.

Full history:
    HS-251+ with two 6TB drives mirrored, 2GB of memory. Unit has been kept up to date on a monthly basis with QNAP and Asset upgrades. On 20Dec19 I upgraded this 6.4 Registered.
    Late last week, w/c 27Jan, I think Thursday or Friday when I went to browse from both Win 10 PC and the Naim app I was getting prompts that it was the eval edition. I checked the qpkg files I had downloaded and none were eval.

Uninstalled Asset, restarted the NAS and re-installed a fresh download of the 6.4 Registered qprg.

Configured Asset with shares, playlist, transcoding settings. Edited browse tree to add New Albums and Recent Albums and copied over upstream artwork for navigation graphics.

Set the indexing going and all was fine until it reached 65,000 tracks and then stalled. NAS froze and became unresponsive. A three second reset did not resolve the issue and a ten second reset was then performed and Asset reinstalled.

Indexing set off with the same config, which I have used for the last years and has caused no issues with any upgrade from R4 onwards.

Again, gets to 65,000 and unit becomes unresponsive.

Left this yesterday to come to it fresh today, and, thinking it was an issue with the HS-251+ installed Asset R6.4 Registered on a TVS-871 with 8GB of memory. Other services are running on this but at time of install memory is 30pc used so more available memory than the HS-251+.

Installed Asset, used the same config and folder paths, amended for slightly changed location. I sync the music library between the two devices via Dropbox and QNAPs HBS. This has run without issue for the last year or two.

Scanning gets to 65,000 and significantly slows down, takes ages to reach 66,000 and during this time memory is seen to be peaking at 80-85pc usage. NAS starts becoming slow to respond. Start to shut down other services, to free up memory. Scanning remains at 66,000 and memory usage continues to increase to 98pc despite additional memory being made available due to closing other services.

System doesn’t freeze but is slow to respond. Thankfully sufficient CPU/Memory headroom to stop the Asset service.

Uninstalled Asset, restarted the NAs.

Installed Asset 6.3 Registered.

Did the transcoding and minor config, did not amend browse tree and left one folder off of the scanned folders on the basis this may reduce the total number of file to below 65,000.

Scanning started OK and then got progressively slower. Reached 56,000 after nearly five hours! From memory the full library of about 80,000 tracks used to scan within the hour.

As above, I’ve now uninstalled R6.3 and will try R5. I’m clueless as to what’s going on given this has run for years without issue. The only recent change has been from R6.3 to R6.4 and QNAP OS updates.

I can’t imagine my library is excessively large.

Any suggestions?

Russ

Re: Issues with R6 scanning on QNAP.

So R5.1.1. PRemium Registered completed scanning overnight. My guess is it took about eight hours which is far longer than I recall but I guess it;s easy to overlook how quickly your library grows.

Trying to load the browse tree was extremely slow. The scanning completed at 72,179 tracks over 4,740 albums.

Ive now upgraded the R5.1.1 instance to R6.4. Scanning has commeneced and I am expecting to hit memory issues aroudn 65,00 albums again. Memory usage for the R51.1. scan remained low/reasonable at all times that I was checking it.

Sure enough got to 66,000 tracks, memory utilisation started to peak at 99pc (of 16GB with minimal services running) and then hung and progressed no further for an hour. Had previously been making steady progress. Stopped Asset, restarted it and a new scan commenced and again got to 66,000 tracks, memory peaked at 99pc and no further progress was made.

I've now uninstalled R6.4, restarting the NAS and going to try R6.1 that I have downloaded from 16May18 as that is the lastst version with release notes at https://www.dbpoweramp.com/Help/AssetUPnP/versions.html.

So R6.1 scan went a treat. The only differance was that I did not include a playlist foler to scan as I realsied all thepaths in them are no longer valid.

Previus slow scan sppeds on the TVS may have been related to other takss running, but this does not explain the initial issues on the HS unit which I have no factory reset.

I'm conscious of the auto scanning bug that was in R6.3 for QNAP that lead to R6.4 and having been without tunes for four days I'm going to hold here pending guidance please.

Administrator

You can test the latest release without playlists?

I'm loathed to, to be honest... By the time I uninstall R6.1, restart the NAS run R6.4 and watch for it peaking on the memory, and then uninstall again, restart and then reinstall R6.1 to get working playback again I've lost another day.

I can do this Friday but I'd only want to do this if there's a decent probability as opposed to it being the odd thing out from the four days of testing I've already done.

To add to this the R5.1.1 scan had the playlists with the wrong paths and it didnt cause an issue to that scan.

Super Moderator

Problem being researched, thanks for reporting.

Super Moderator

It would be most helpful if you could enable debug logging in Asset settings, recreate the problem, then send Asset configuration dump (exported using Asset Configuration page) to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis. A configuration dump will automatically include recent debug logs.
    If the configuration dump turns out too large for email, send just the logs.

Peter - Dropbox share sent with notes in the message body. Russ

(Think theres a message in moderation from me. R6.4 fresh install no playlists, same issue at 66,000.) Now back on R6.1

Super Moderator

Thanks. In meanwhile, I made some memory usage tweaks in the R6.5 beta 3 -
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...x-amp-Mac-beta
    I'll review your debug logs and get back to you shortly.

Thanks. If I don't have to restart the QNap between installs happy to do more testing. Will hold where I am on R6.1 until I hear further from you. Russ

Super Moderator

Beta 4 posted:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...x-amp-Mac-beta

Memory usage while browsing has been considerably reduced. It came to my attention that browsing a folder of 70000 tracks, such as "all titles" with your config, would eat hundreds of megabytes of RAM. This is now fixed.

If the problem persists, enable debug logging, apply configuration changes, recreate the issue, and send me just the library+upnp logs created during the occurrence of the bug.

Nice bug catch Although I had the memory utilisation issue on scanning, didnt even get to browse. So one check.. Am I doing an in-place upgrade then a new full scan, or uninstall 6.1 and fresh beta 4 install?

Super Moderator

Inplace upgrade should be good, nothing wrong with existing database left from the old version.

Memory usage while scanning should be significantly lowered also, beta 3 fixes did that.

Beta 4 still got issues on a fresh full scan. Installed, it started and then seemd to re-index the database or something doing a very quick 'scan'. On doing a rescan of all it has ground the QNap host into the ground again to the point where I can't get a session. LAst screen I saw was 66,000 not sure if it progressed further. Will take a while to get the box restarted and stable again so will look to do a scan with debug on in a few days time.