title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: It's SonataDB, not SontaDB, and info page lacks proper explanation

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It's SonataDB, not SontaDB, and info page lacks proper explanation

The following page has had a spelling error for a very long time. It claims that CD Ripper uses a metadata source called SontaDB. That should of course be SonataDB.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

I also found it rather confusing that I couldn't select SonataDB as one of my metadata sources, but it sometimes appears anyway when ripping a CD. A very old post on the forum states that "if SonataDB is available" it will overwrite the GD3 column. I suspect that SonataDB is always available, so think it should really have said "if SonataDB can offer any metadata for the current CD".

This topic should be properly explained on the above page for the benefit of all new users.

Administrator

Re: It's SonataDB, not SontaDB, and info page lacks proper explanation

Sonata is stored within GD3 as a separate database, if it is present for a given disc then GD3 is not supplied for that disc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Sonata is stored within GD3 as a separate database, if it is present for a given disc then GD3 is not supplied for that disc.
    That's more or less what you said in a post nearly 9 years ago, but it's still not explained in the most obvious place a user might look for guidance, i.e. the page I referenced in my OP. Are you planning to update this page (and correct the spelling error)?

Administrator

The advertisement page (main web site) does not go overly technical into each option, the help files do this. The spelling mistake is corrected next site update.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The advertisement page (main web site) does not go overly technical into each option, the help files do this. The spelling mistake is corrected next site update.
    Perhaps I need new glasses, but I can't find any detailed reference to the relationship between GD3 and SonataDB in the Help files. All I can find is almost the same simple description of PerfectMeta as on the main info page. Have I missed something?

Administrator

We will look at the help for the next update

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

We will look at the help for the next update
    Thanks for that. I think newer users will find it more useful to have such matters covered by the online help rather than by very old discussions in the forum.

BTW, I started using dBpoweramp 7 years ago and have never looked at any another CD ripping software. Your excellent solution would be very difficult to beat!