title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Why limit minimum rip speed to 10x ?

Why limit lowest max rip speed to 10x ?

I have had great difficulty in ripping Holly Cole's 'Temptation' CD using dbPowerAmp. If I attempt to rip in secure mode, I get (literally) 1000s of frame errors, and if I 'burst' rip, then the output files are corrupt beyond listenability. However, if I play the CD through a CD player, it sounds fine.

On a whim, I decided to test whether EZ CD-DA Converter could handle this particular CD. On my first attempt, using the tool's default settings, EZCD also failed. I was about to give up when I noticed a drop-down menu for ripping speed. The menu allowed me to choose maximum rip speed from 1x to 34x in small increments. On the assumption that a slower speed would be more likely to scan, I chose 1x.

As Gomer Pyle would say: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! EZCD accurately ripped all tracks.

Turning back to dbPowerAmp, I found the corresponding drop-down for ripping speed, but the minimum speed choice is 10x. I then attempted to rip at 10x, but again the rip failed with errors.

It's a shame that dbPowerAmp neglects to offer 1x, 2x, 4x ... ripping speeds. I feel that dbPowerAmp would have succeeded with this Holly Cole CD, if only I could have ripped at 1x speed.
    Last edited by Epping4est; 02-02-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Administrator

Re: Why limit lowest max rip speed to 10x ?

EZ CD-DA converter does not access AccurateRip, how can you be sure the rip was without error? try running those tracks through PerfectTUNES, the accuraterip checking component.

Most drives on the market rip better at higher speeds (although there will be a few drives which do not).