title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Albums starting with "." do not appear in naim app or Windows 10 QNAP server browser

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Albums starting with "." do not appear in naim app or Windows 10 QNAP server browser

I'm running Asset on my QNAP TS653A server to stream to my Naim NDS music streamer and have noticed that my copy of Uriah Heep's "...Very 'eavy ...Very 'umble" does not show on the naim app on my ipad. It is also missing from the Windows 10 server browser views on my computer.

Deleting the leading "..." from the album title tags and rescanning the server solves the issue but I wonder whether there is a fix for this within Asset itself.

Administrator

Re: Albums starting with "." do not appear in naim app or Windows 10 QNAP server brow

On Linux (of which QNAP is based) a file or folder starting with '.' is classed as a hidden system file. We will look in implementing so this is not written. Asset cannot be fixed, the folders and files should not begin with '.'

Administrator

Re: Albums starting with "." do not appear in naim app or Windows 10 QNAP server brow

Just checked our programs (CD Ripper and Music Converter), they will not create files or folders beginning with '.', so you must have got this file from another source.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sjbabbey View Post
    I'm running Asset on my QNAP TS653A server to stream to my Naim NDS music streamer and have noticed that my copy of Uriah Heep's "...Very 'eavy ...Very 'umble" does not show on the naim app on my ipad. It is also missing from the Windows 10 server browser views on my computer.

Deleting the leading "..." from the album title tags and rescanning the server solves the issue but I wonder whether there is a fix for this within Asset itself.
    I try not to use the "." character in any of my tags, especially leading characters, especially if you are using these tags to generate your filenames. However in the case of albums such as the Uriah Heep example you use, I prefer to use the "horizontal ellipsis" character (Alt+0133). Further, if you are using any of the "Sort" metadata tags, this is a good example and can use "Very Heavy Very Humble" as a sort field but still display "…Very 'eavy …Very 'umble" as the actual title.

At least my 2¢
    G

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't aware of the Linux hidden system files connection. It's a simple enough matter to fix by retagging/renaming the file folder in any event.