title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: A little help converting FLAC files, please.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A little help converting FLAC files, please.

Hi all.

I have a 4 disc Yes bootleg that's come to me as FLAC files.

I went through the usual process of batch converting to m4a but when I started to play the album this morning (through the Foobar2000 mobile app, having synced to my phone last night)there was a gap between each track.

I just opened one of the files to look at the sound wave & there is a short gap at the end of the track, which would account for the gaps.

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 20.59.42.jpg

Is this normal for FLAC files? Is there a way of converting them & removing the silence as part of a process of which I'm unaware or is the silence "baked in" to the files I have?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: A little help converting FLAC files, please.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Is this normal for FLAC files?
    No. If the FLAC files were ripped from a gapless source they should play gapless. And any m4a files created by converting should be gapless too. Do the FLAC files play gapless?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, FLAC files aren't native to the Mac, so it's a little tricky to find something that'll play them.

I can play them on my VLC player & no, they don't play back gapless, but I don't really trust it to handle FLAC files properly.

I'll see if xACT will run on my new OS.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Okay, so xACT converted the files to AIFF & they still play back with gaps in iTunes, which pretty much settles it.

Looks like it's a proper editing job over the weekend, to remove the gaps & re-make the tracks from there.

dBpoweramp Guru

Okay, so xACT converted the files to AIFF & they still play back with gaps in iTunes, which pretty much settles it.

Looks like it's a proper editing job over the weekend, to remove the gaps & re-make the tracks from there.
    Are you only getting gapless playback issues with the Yes bootleg discs?

Administrator

If the disc ripped not gapless, then if you play on a normal CD player, it would not be gapless either.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Are you only getting gapless playback issues with the Yes bootleg discs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If the disc ripped not gapless, then if you play on a normal CD player, it would not be gapless either.
    Actually, it's just this one Yes bootleg. And when I downloaded it from a separate source, it had the same silences at the beginning & ends of all the tracks. Then, when I tried to edit the tracks, in order to create a new set of tracks that would play back seamlessly, it became apparent that they didn't join up properly. I'm not quite sure why, but this isn't a simple case of silences having been added to an originally seamless source.

So, from my original question of whether or not this was a convention with FLAC files, it turns out it's just weird original source material.

Incidentally, the album in question is a 4 disc "Periphet, The Complete Inglewood Forum, 1978-10-05/06"

dBpoweramp Guru

So, from my original question of whether or not this was a convention with FLAC files, it turns out it's just weird original source material.

Incidentally, the album in question is a 4 disc "Periphet, The Complete Inglewood Forum, 1978-10-05/06"
    I suspected as much, as it is a bootleg and not an official CDDA.