title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: R16 (vs. R14) File Naming For Multiple Artists On Non-Compilation Album

R16 (vs. R14) File Naming For Multiple Artists On Non-Compilation Album

I recently moved to a new Windows 10 desktop computer.
    I had been using DBPA R14.4 on my old Windows 7 machine.

With my move to the new computer, I decided to try out the newer R16 version, but I am having trouble navigating a difference from my old R14 software.

With R14, if I ripped a non-compilation CD that had a duet on one track, I would include have the ALBUM ARTIST tag for the main artist, then tag both song artists for that duet seperated by a ";" in the ARTIST tag. R14 would then name the file using only the first artist listed before the ";".

So for example:
    Tags:
    Album Artist: Elton John
    Artist: Elton John; Kiki Dee
    Folder Path: Music\Elton John\Greatest Hits, Volume II [MCA]\
    File Name: Elton John Greatest Hits, Volume II [MCA] 04 Don't Go Breaking My Heart

However, now with R16 I am finding that DBPA is naming the file with both artists separated by a ";" in the actual file name.
    File Name: Elton John; Kiki Dee Greatest Hits, Volume II [MCA] 04 Don't Go Breaking My Heart

In other words, DBPA R16 now puts both artists in the file name when my R14 used to just put the first artist in the file name (which was usually that same as the Album Artist). To be clear, I am not talking about compilation albums or Various Artists CD's.

My question: Was there a change/update between the older/newer versions of DBPA that is causing this to happen? Is there a way to disable so it behaves like my old R14 version handled this cirumstance?
    Last edited by DBPA ROCKS!; 01-15-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Administrator

Re: R16 (vs. R14) File Naming For Multiple Artists On Non-Compilation Album

Post your full naming string please. Are you using the 'ID Tag processing DSP'? this is now used for naming in R16.

The naming I have been using under R14.4 was:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[artist] [album] [track] [title]

While I realize that I am using [artist] in the file name, R14.4 always just wrote the name as the main album artist (unless of course it was a compilation CD of various artists which was handled differently).

Now using the same naming convention in R16.6, I find that DBPA is including both artists in the file name.

Did something change between R14.4 and R16.6 that affects this?
    It seems my solution my be to change [artist] to [album artist] in file naming for R16.6?
    Just trying to make sure I am not missing some other setting in my transition to the updated software, etc.

Here's a screenshot of R16.6 pre-rip:
    As you can see, it includes both artists for track 10 duet in the file name.
    My 14.4 didn't do this and just wondering what's changed?

DBPA.jpg
    Last edited by DBPA ROCKS!; 01-16-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Administrator

Are you using the 'ID Tag processing DSP'? this is now used for naming in R16.

Well, the majority of the dynamic naming is still set by the Naming Box in the lower left hand corner, right?
    I know the ID Tag Processing DSP can be used to do some things like modify characters, manipulations can be done with multiple artists, etc.
    I have always used ID Tag Processing DSP to manipulate a couple of items but the behavior has changed from the settings I was using in R14.
    It doesn't matter since R14 is old software at this point, as long as I know what's going on and how to influence DBPA to get the same results as the 50,000 tracks I've already ripped using R14.

So I figured out a couple things after playing around with R16.
    1. If I changed the dynamic naming convention and replace [artist] as I used in R14 with [album artist] in R16, then I can then get the same results.
    2. In R16, checking the "Multiple Artists to Artist 1; Artist 2" box can also influence when one artist or multiple artists are written into the file name.

With this knowledge in hand, hopefully I am good to proceed.

Thanks!