title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: TuneFusion - Different car players

TuneFusion - Different car players

In my family we have different car brands. So it seems that a slightly different approach is needed to build a USB or SD card of music that will play properly.
    It seems that what is workable in one car may not be ideal for the other(s).
    What seems to be necessary is to read the fine print in the manual regarding how the media player in a particular make / model car handles a USB or SD an card as far as music is concerned.
    eg the Toyota V8 Landcruiser manual states:

" USB memory
    Compatible devices
    USB memory that can be used for MP3 and WMA playback

Compatible device formats
    The following device formats can be used:

USB communication formats: USB2.0 FS (12mbps)
    File formats: FAT16/32 (Windows)
    Correspondence class: Mass storage class
    MP3 and WMA files written in any format other than those listed above may not play correctly, and their file names and folder names may not be displayed correctly.

Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:

Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
    Maximum number of folders in a device: 999 (including the root)
    Maximum number of files in a device: 65025
    Maximum number of files per folder: 255"

Can I assume that this means that you can have, say, a directory called Toyota Car Music (or whatever) with
    up to 999 folders in it ( eg a Beatles, Deep Purple, Led Zep, AC/DC etc etc folder)
    And each of these sub folders can only have up to 255 tracks in each ( ie up to 255 Beatles in the Beatles folder and up to 255 in the Deep Purple etc etc etc) ?
    And overall a max number of files of 62025?
    So I guess the art seems to be in interpting the info in the manual ( assuming a firmware update for the car does not change things from time to time)

eg as above for the Landcruiser

"Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:

Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
    Maximum number of folders in a device: 999 (including the root)
    Maximum number of files in a device: 65025
    Maximum number of files per folder: 255"

This together with the codec,bit rate and sampling limitations mentioned in the manual needs to be taken into account in order to put together a USB or SD of music for a particular make/model.

The Merc C63 on the other hand seems to have a very different set of limitations for a 2014 model. ( And different again for the 2016 model).
    Something like 8 folders with up to 1000 tracks per folder with a maximum of 10000 tracks ( maths dont add up but who knows)

As well a Toyota Corolla is quite different to the Landcruiser. Audi is different again...and all of them seem to write / word their media player limitations slightly differently.
    So I guess it depends very much on the multimedia player a particular car uses.
    Is my assumpion in reading the manual regarding the Landcruiser example (at least) correct as far as interpreting the wording?
    I use bascially the Tunefusion defaults for the music.
    For the Merc I have had to do things differently before using Tunefusion to produce a result because it seems to only allow 8 folders ( the firmware in the model I have) with up to 1000 tracks in each...but it works well. Anyone interested I could elaborate if wanted.
    Hopefully this makes sense

Thanks
    Last edited by Floyd; 01-11-2020 at 11:06 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: TuneFusion - Different car players

Reviving an old thread as it relates to my question.

Seems Jeep/Chrysler units with built-in HDD units for music are very limited in their ability to see and transfer files. They only allow up to 512 total folders+files on the root level, and within any of the root level folders another limit of 512 files and no additional nested folders.

There is about 28GB of usable space on the drive I have. So using a 32GB USB key is more than enough to take care of a full load for this case. To try to take a random mix of songs, I am using the Random Track Selection option only in the Smart Playlist, along with some Source Filtering to zero in on tracks more suited for the road. In order to try to get the ~3500 songs all to transfer I have set up the naming to use the first letter of the AlbumArtistSort tag, then named the files from the AlbumSort_DiscNumber-Track TitleSort tags to ensure they are uniquely named.

[GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[tag]album sort[][]_[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [tag]title sort[][]

All works great, except under "V" where Various Artists carry some extra weighting and that folder ends up with more than 512 files. Is there a function to limit writing more than a set number of files to any one folder? I've tried everything I can think of to do this without manually adding a "V2" folder.

Administrator

[GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[][][IFEQUALS][tag]album artist sort[],Various Artists,_[GROUP]8,[tag]album sort[][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[tag]album sort[][]_[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [tag]title sort[][]

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    [GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[][][IFEQUALS][tag]album artist sort[],Various Artists,_[GROUP]8,[tag]album sort[][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[tag]album sort[][]_[MAXLENGTH]80,[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [tag]title sort[][]
    Thanks for this improved file naming string. I didn&*8217;t realize the Group function was available in Tunefusion, as it doesn&*8217;t appear in the support for the naming structure there. But if all functions from the Reference dbPoweramp work the same way, I&*8217;ll refer to that for future syntax advice.

Administrator

If it is not there, we need to add it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If it is not there, we need to add it.
    There are a few differences between the help pages for dbPoweramp and Tunefusion. The TF page also doesn&*8217;t show the split function. But now that I know the two share these functions I can build from here. Thanks again for the reply.