title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Compilation Tag for Composer

Compilation Tag for Composer

I am using dbpoweramp release 16.6 and would like to know if there is a way to rip a CD (typically to FLAC format) which is a classical title that has multiple composers as a compilation CD. I am using the batch ripper as I have an MF Digital ripstation and typically rip large collections of CD's at a time. It is quite common to have a Cd which has several tracks by a number of composers. If I use the Compilation tag in preferences for metadata tags it only addresses artists not composers! What happens when I use the naming convention [IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album] - [conductor]\[track] - [title] works perfectly for all but the CD's that have a multi composer CD and on these discs it places each composers tracks in a separate folder. This obviously creates extra work at the end of the batch rip with me doing a search of the album title and locating all of the tracks and then pasting them into the correct folder.

Could a Composer compilation tag be created to address this issue or is there a simple solution that I can use without it? I cannot simply use the [If Comp] placed before composer,[Composer] as that will not work for obvious reasons.

Administrator

Re: Compilation Tag for Composer

[IFCOMP]Various[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]composer,[composer][][IF!VALUE]composer,[artist][][]\[album] - [conductor]\[track] - [title]

Spoon, thank you for your reply!

I thought that when you select the compilation flag in the options menu that it only works with the artist metadata information. If you have multiple artists on a CD this works correctly. I want to create a folder name based on the composer name from the metadata if it is present. If I use [If Comp] and have the compilation flag selected how will the composer field be recognized if it has multiple composers on the same CD if it is looking for multiple artists not composers?

Administrator

This is just file naming, did you try my naming string? It has to write to a various folder for compilation otherwise the disc would be split.

I am fine with having the CD placed in the "Various" folder. I will try your naming string out in a few days when i will have more Classical CD's to work with and let you know how it works out. Thanks for your input!

I tried using this file naming convention for use when ripping classical titles which have multi composers. It does not work correctly! Ultimately I would like a multi-composer CD to have all of the tracks saved to the same folder rather than having each track saved as if it is a separate CD title and then having to do a search on the title after it is ripped to locate all of the tracks of the CD and save them to one folder manually which is rather time consuming when you are processing a large collection!

[IFVALUE]composer,[composer],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album] - [conductor]\[track]

I tried another file naming convention which I located in the forum from another user which does work that places the multi- composer tiles in the "Various" folder which is great. The problem is that for some reason it does not work in the batch ripper it only works in the single CD ripping version of dbpoweramp.

[IFCOMP]Various[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]composer,[composer][][IF!VALUE]composer,[artist][][]\[album] - [conductor]\[track] - [title]

Us there something else that needs to be done when using the batch ripper for this naming convention to work properly for me. It would be a real time saver for me. I am able to use the default file naming string for all popular music such as classic rock, jazz, blues, pop which typically do not have composers in the metadata so everything works properly.

I also notice when using the batch ripper and observing the metadata in the mode where you approve the metadata before the cd is ripped that there is a flag that is indicated when the metadata provided has the CD listed as a multi composer title however dbpoweramp doers not appear to use this flag and keep all of the tracks together in the same folder which is a real problem.

Any suggestions as to how to address this issue?
    Last edited by ghibliss; 05-12-2020 at 12:41 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

For myself, creating a naming string that will handle ALL CDs is the holy grail. Handling compilations and non-compilations and classical music (based on composer) and contemporary music (based on artist or album artist), is difficult, but possible.

Perhaps you can add another test, e.g. the genre tag being equal to classical, in your naming string?

When I am ripping collections of CD's they are essentially made up of one genre of music. I could be ripping a collection of several thousand classical music CD's and the number of compilations contained in this collection is a complete unknown. Spending the time to sort these in advance to remove the compilation CD's would not be time well spent either. I do not see the need to place a tag in the naming sting to identify classical music if it still is unable to process multi composer titles.

After further testing I found that this file naming string does in fact work in both the single user version of dbpoweramp as well as batch ripper. I just ran a number of multi composer classical titles and the file accurately placed all of them in the "various" folder maintaining all of the tracks of each CD in the same folder. This saves an enormous amount of time for me to have a file that works for the classical music genre!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ghibliss View Post
    I do not see the need to place a tag in the naming sting to identify classical music if it still is unable to process multi composer titles.
    Sorry, I don't understand. CD Ripper IS able to able to process multi composer titles.

dbpoweramp and batch ripper can do support multi composer titles as long as you use the proper file naming script. The defaalt naming script will not provide you with proper results as each composer will be in a separate folder rather than all tracks together in a single folder placed in the "Various" folder.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ghibliss View Post
    dbpoweramp and batch ripper can do support multi composer titles as long as you use the proper file naming script. The defaalt naming script will not provide you with proper results as each composer will be in a separate folder rather than all tracks together in a single folder placed in the "Various" folder.
    The default naming script is not a definitive solution for any CD, but simply a starting point that assumes that a ripped CD is to be saved to a folder structure, based on album artist or artist and whether it is a compilation or not.

Digital audio metadata and tag specifications have evolved over many years and are considerably better than 25 years ago, but have tended to concentrate on contemporary music and not classical music, probably based on the fact that most users were ripping popular music and not classical music.

Ripping a classical CD based on composer and not artist and/or album artist, will require the user to edit the default naming string.
    Last edited by mville; 05-16-2020 at 09:43 PM.