title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Forcing only Musicbrainz and other metadata questions

Forcing only Musicbrainz and other metadata questions

I'm a longtime user of Reference for batch-ripping - love this product! I assume Batch Ripper uses CD Ripper's metadata settings, thus my post here.

1. I want to force Ripper to only use Musicbrainz for metadata. Nothing else. In CD Ripper/Options/Active Providers, I've unticked everything except MusicBrainz. When ripping in Batch, I still have albums that show [freedb] as the provider. If Musicbrainz fails to retrieve a disc then I'd rather have it fail so I can address manually.

2. I'd like to use the %albumyear% tag from Musicbrainz in file naming. See here for their tag list. Find albumyear. This helps tag Led Zeppelin/Physical Graffiti as 1975, instead of 1994 when the CD was apparently released. Any way to accomplish this?

3. When Musicbrainz (or any provider, I guess) returns multiple DiscIDs in Batch Ripper, what decision does it make? I'd like to reject those so I can intervene manually. Some artists press disc sets that *exactly match* the individual studio versions of albums. I'd rather disambiguate by having the album be called by its original name.

My Disc Makers Elite Micro is churning along. I appreciate you and your work, @Spoon!

Administrator

Re: Forcing only Musicbrainz and other metadata questions

1. Batch Ripper has its own metadata menu, where you would uncheck freedb.
    2. Sorry this is not possible.
    3. The one with the highest ranking is automatically used which matches the source.

Thumbs up Re: Forcing only Musicbrainz and other metadata questions

Thanks for the concise response.

I poked at Ripper a bit more and didn't realize until now that right-clicking the Meta button provides the stuff I was looking for. Thanks!

2. I'd like to use the %albumyear% tag from Musicbrainz in file naming. See here for their tag list. Find albumyear. This helps tag Led Zeppelin/Physical Graffiti as 1975, instead of 1994 when the CD was apparently released. Any way to accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    2. Sorry this is not possible.
    You don't think I could map Musicbrainz's %albumyear% tag to the FLAC %year% tag using Tag Mappings? Or is that not what the feature is for?

Administrator

I think we do not read this tag from musicbrainz.