title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    As you can see from the first screen shot I posted above, I already have all the common fields set how I want them. I've typed that in once & it applies to all tracks. Here, I'm just concerned with the track titles.
    As I said, you populate/edit Title, in the Tags panel in CD Ripper.

dBpoweramp Guru

This is getting very complicated because we're all out of sync.

As you can see from the first screen shot I posted above, I already have all the common fields set how I want them. I've typed that in once & it applies to all tracks. Here, I'm just concerned with the track titles.

Where it says: Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a: Vorspiel

I want to change that to - Scene 1: Vorspiel

Where is says: Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a: Weia! Waga! Woge, du Welle

I want to change that to - Scene 1: "Weia! Waga! Woge, du Well"

etc.

Tracks 1-6 will all start with "scene 1" tracks 7-18 will change to "track 2" etc.

Can that be any clearer?

OK. seems pretty simple then. Where the track title tag contains:
    Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a: Vorspiel
    delete that and type in:
    Scene 1: Vorspiel

Do the equivalent for all tracks. Classical tagging requires a lot of manual work as the databases that automate tagging are a mess with classical.

edit: And you're doing this BEFORE you rip.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    OK. seems pretty simple then. Where the track title tag contains:
    Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a: Vorspiel
    delete that and type in:
    Scene 1: Vorspiel

Do the equivalent for all tracks. Classical tagging requires a lot of manual work as the databases that automate tagging are a mess with classical.

edit: And you're doing this BEFORE you rip.
    And finally, this is precisely my point & why I asked the question in the first place.

If I rip the entire disc as you see it now (in the first screen shot), I can then go into the finder on my Mac & BATCH CHANGE the first set of tracks to scene 1, the next lot to scene 2 etc.

That means I can do the whole album in 4 hits instead of manually editing 18 or 20 (or more) tracks one at a time.

I can then use my tag editor software to use the file names as tags & they all get replaced in one hit.

So my reason for posting is why don't you add batch changing find & replace functionality to that screen in dBpa so that I can do that before I rip it?

Simples!

And here's a screen shot of how the album will eventually look in iTunes:

RheingoldScreenshot.jpg

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That seems to have down-sized it. It's here full size if anyone's interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nenp7ztevi...nshot.jpg?dl=0

dBpoweramp Guru

So my reason for posting is why don't you add batch changing find & replace functionality to that screen in dBpa so that I can do that before I rip it?
    I think you can do this by adding the DSP, "ID TAG PROCESSING" in the bottom center of ripper screen. Within this DSP, select the "manipulation tab" and then "rule based mapping" I think you can then have some automated tag field changes. I haven't used this function, but you can do some automated find and replace within tags. Click on the ? help button on the upper right of the popup screen for ID TAG PROCESSING and scroll down. You'll see a lot of info regarding using rule based mapping or scripting tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

If I rip the entire disc as you see it now (in the first screen shot), I can then go into the finder on my Mac & BATCH CHANGE the first set of tracks to scene 1, the next lot to scene 2 etc.

That means I can do the whole album in 4 hits instead of manually editing 18 or 20 (or more) tracks one at a time.

I can then use my tag editor software to use the file names as tags & they all get replaced in one hit.

Simples!
    Your methods are IMO, non-standard. This looks like a classic case of I am un-aware of the (many) features available in Illustrate's software, I can't be bothered to investigate further, oh and by the way, can you change the software to fit in with my non-standard needs.

Sadly, ripping, tagging and audio player software was originally designed for use with Popular music. As such, creating a Classical Music audio library is difficult and complex.

I strongly suggest you search these forums (using google), read some of the classical music threads to familiarize yourself with the difficulties and complexities I mention and possibly re-think your classical music tagging strategy e.g. placing much info in the Title tag and only populating the common tags. In my experience, if you proceed as your are, I fear you WILL regret it, in the long run. Just sayin'.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Your methods are IMO, non-standard. This looks like a classic case of I am un-aware of the (many) features available in Illustrate's software, I can't be bothered to investigate further, oh and by the way, can you change the software to fit in with my non-standard needs.

Sadly, ripping, tagging and audio player software was originally designed for use with Popular music. As such, creating a Classical Music audio library is difficult and complex.

I strongly suggest you search these forums (using google), read some of the classical music threads to familiarize yourself with the difficulties and complexities I mention and possibly re-think your classical music tagging strategy e.g. placing much info in the Title tag and only populating the common tags. In my experience, if you proceed as your are, I fear you WILL regret it, in the long run. Just sayin'.
    I currently have about 52.8 days of classical music in my iTunes library, all tagged to perfection & exactly how I want it so that it sorts the way I like to have it on my phone.

You're probably right that there is functionality in the software of which I'm unaware, (& I'm definitely not one to shun new knowledge) but I have a workflow that gets me where I want very quickly. If it's "non-standard" but ends up in the same place, what's the difference?

dBpoweramp Guru

You're probably right that there is functionality in the software of which I'm unaware, (& I'm definitely not one to shun new knowledge) but I have a workflow that gets me where I want very quickly. If it's "non-standard" but ends up in the same place, what's the difference?
    I agree, there are many ways to skin a cat and obviously, you can tag your music any way and anyhow you wish. But... information is king, knowledge is power etc. etc.

My post was simply friendly advice... you can take it or leave it.
    Last edited by mville; 01-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I agree, there are many ways to skin a cat and obviously, you can tag your music any way and anyhow you wish. But... information is king, knowledge is power etc. etc.

My post was simply friendly advice... you can take it or leave it.
    Of course. I didn't take it otherwise.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you have a method that works for you, I'd say use it. My final point on this is that I think you likely *can* do what you want with dbpa ripper. This requires use of the ID TAG PROCESSING DSP during ripping as I mentioned in an earlier post. But it will take some digging in to understand the code you need to enter and some back and forth testing to get exactly what you want. If it works, this will automate your process.