title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

  1. #1
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    When I stick a CD in, I tend to change the "common" tags before I rip it, then batch rename the filenames in the finder on my Mac & then use a tag editor to apply the corrected filenames to the metadata, so that the tags are correct.

    It would be really handy to have "find & replace" functionality in this window, so that I could select the tracks & change the names before ripping:

    Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 10.44.50.jpg

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,664

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    In CD Ripper, set the Naming string to the filenaming format you desire. Then, after inserting a CD, review, add and edit ALL tags before ripping. This way, there should be no need to edit tags and filenames post ripping.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In CD Ripper, set the Naming string to the filenaming format you desire. Then, after inserting a CD, review, add and edit ALL tags before ripping. This way, there should be no need to edit tags and filenames post ripping.

    Exactly! Snowdog, your extra steps are not necessary if you would simply use the correct settings of dbpa CD ripper.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Okay, fair enough.

    So I'm just about to rip another opera. I've typed in the common fields to be how I want, now I need to do the tracks.

    This is how they currently look:

    Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 14.53.07.jpg

    This is how I'm going to want them to look (from a different version of the same opera):

    Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 14.54.55.jpg

    So, using your method, what do I do next?

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,664

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    So I'm just about to rip another opera. I've typed in the common fields to be how I want, now I need to do the tracks.
    No you don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    So, using your method, what do I do next?
    It isn't our method, it is how CD Ripper works.

    Have you read the online manual and/or checked these forums, especially metadata review, tag editing and naming?
    Last edited by mville; 01-03-2020 at 09:08 AM.

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    the first screen shot appears to be the metadata. the second screen shot is the file names. These are two different things.

    And why do you need the track titles to *also* contain the name of the opera and the ALBUM tag contains the venue and the date? Wouldn't that be the album name? There are separate tags you can use for DATE, and VENUE. Why put that in the ALBUM tag?

    I don't do much classical, but also there are tags related to WORK and MOVEMENT that would likely be useful for you.

    Bottom line for me is that I'm really confused about what you're trying to do. If you get all the tags setup the way you want, the naming can be also customized from those tags. all done in the original ripping step.
    Last edited by garym; 01-03-2020 at 09:12 AM.

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Have you read the manual, especially metadata review, tag editing and naming?
    I tried. To be fair, for me seems completely impenetrable.

    How do I tell it to take "Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a:" & make it "scene 1" on tracks 1-6, "scene 2" on tracks 7-18, etc.

    Is that even possible?

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I tried. To be fair, for me seems completely impenetrable.

    How do I tell it to take "Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a:" & make it "scene 1" on tracks 1-6, "scene 2" on tracks 7-18, etc.

    Is that even possible?
    Wouldn't that be as easy as typing in "Scene 1" at the beginning of each of the TRACK tags for tracks 1-6, 'Scene 2" for tracks 7-18.

    But still not clear. What do you want the TITLE of each track to be? Give a complete example from one of your CDs so we have more to work with. That is, what do you want the metadata tags to be (ARTIST, PERFORMER, SOLOIST, COMPOSER, ALBUM, DATE, VENUE, WORK, MOVEMENT, etc.) and what do you want the subfolder names and filenames to be?

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    the first screen shot appears to be the metadata. the second screen shot is the file names. These are two different things.

    And why do you need the track titles to *also* contain the name of the opera and the ALBUM tag contains the venue and the date? Wouldn't that be the album name? There are separate tags you can use for DATE, and VENUE. Why put that in the ALBUM tag?

    I don't do much classical, but also there are tags related to WORK and MOVEMENT that would likely be useful for you.

    Bottom line for me is that I'm really confused about what you're trying to do. If you get all the tags setup the way you want, the naming can be also customized from those tags. all done in the original ripping step.
    Okay, so first of all, I know that one is the metadata & one is the file name. My workflow is to make the file names correct in the finder after ripping & then USE THEM to change the meta data so that it matches the file names & it therefore correct. (It was just quicker in this instance than finding them in iTunes & doing a screen shot of that, but they are the same for the album I've already ripped.)

    Secondly, I think you have it the wrong way around. I'm removing the name of the work & just leaving the Act & scene & the dialogue in quote marks.

    Thirdly, I've become so sick, over the years of various software upgrades changing the way my ID tags are interpreted that I've given up on all that extra functionality. You have no idea the hours of re-tagging I've had to do because of software upgrades. Right now I have to remove the "style" tags from my dBpa rips or else they show up in "grouping" in iTunes & I don't want that. So, I do everything long hand & it's solid, especially now I'm using the Foobar2000 mobile app.

    Also, I mostly do classical & there is so much variety in naming that the "work" & "movement" fields are virtually redundant, so I ignore them.

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I tried. To be fair, for me seems completely impenetrable.

    How do I tell it to take "Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a:" & make it "scene 1" on tracks 1-6, "scene 2" on tracks 7-18, etc.

    Is that even possible?
    And are you saying you want the TITLE tag to contain:

    Scene 1 - Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a:

    Why? Why would you not prefer this info in separate tags:

    ALBUM: Das Rheingold (the Rhine Gold)
    GENRE: Opera
    etc.

  11. #11
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,664

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    How do I tell it to take "Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a:" & make it "scene 1" on tracks 1-6, "scene 2" on tracks 7-18, etc.
    First of all, you populate the classical music tags Album, Title, Artist, Genre, Style, Period, Work, Movement Name, Movement Number, Composer, Conductor, Orchestra, Chorus, Soloists etc. and corresponding Sort tags, in the Tags panel in CD Ripper.

    Second, you set your Path and Naming strings in CD Ripper, to build the filepath and filenames, based on these tags (and their data).
    Last edited by mville; 01-03-2020 at 09:35 AM.

  12. #12
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    This is getting very complicated because we're all out of sync.

    As you can see from the first screen shot I posted above, I already have all the common fields set how I want them. I've typed that in once & it applies to all tracks. Here, I'm just concerned with the track titles.

    Where it says: Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a: Vorspiel

    I want to change that to - Scene 1: Vorspiel

    Where is says: Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), opera, WWV 86a: Weia! Waga! Woge, du Welle

    I want to change that to - Scene 1: "Weia! Waga! Woge, du Well"

    etc.

    Tracks 1-6 will all start with "scene 1" tracks 7-18 will change to "track 2" etc.

    Can that be any clearer?

  13. #13
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,462

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Okay, so first of all, I know that one is the metadata & one is the file name. My workflow is to make the file names correct in the finder after ripping & then USE THEM to change the meta data so that it matches the file names & it therefore correct. (It was just quicker in this instance than finding them in iTunes & doing a screen shot of that, but they are the same for the album I've already ripped.)

    Secondly, I think you have it the wrong way around. I'm removing the name of the work & just leaving the Act & scene & the dialogue in quote marks.

    Thirdly, I've become so sick, over the years of various software upgrades changing the way my ID tags are interpreted that I've given up on all that extra functionality. You have no idea the hours of re-tagging I've had to do because of software upgrades. Right now I have to remove the "style" tags from my dBpa rips or else they show up in "grouping" in iTunes & I don't want that. So, I do everything long hand & it's solid, especially now I'm using the Foobar2000 mobile app.

    Also, I mostly do classical & there is so much variety in naming that the "work" & "movement" fields are virtually redundant, so I ignore them.
    You still haven't provided a concrete example of what you want in each metadata tag and what you want the folder names and filenames to be in the end. You need to be very explicit. For example:

    ALBUM: <what do you want here>
    TITLE: < what do you want here>
    GENRE: < what do you want here>
    etc.

    And for naming, what do you want it to look like:

    c:\music\
    ...............\composer?\work\discnumber.tracknum ber.tracktitle???
    or whatever it is you are seeking. this is completely customizable.

    p.s. Do you realize that you can "untick" the style tag in dbpa ripper settings and it doesn't get added. You can set exactly which tags you want added (or not) in the ripper settings.

  14. #14
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    First of all, you populate the classical music tags Album, Title, Artist, Genre, Style, Period, Work, Movement Name, Movement Number, Composer, Conductor, Orchestra, Chorus, Soloists etc. and corresponding Sort tags, in the Tags panel in CD Ripper.

    Second, you set your Path and Naming strings in CD Ripper, to build the filepath and filenames, based on these tags (and their data).

    I've done all that, except for the track names, which need to change throughout the album as act & scene changes.

  15. #15
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    110

    Re: Find & Replace Tags within dBpa

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    p.s. Do you realize that you can "untick" the style tag in dbpa ripper settings and it doesn't get added. You can set exactly which tags you want added (or not) in the ripper settings.
    Yes, that's what I've been doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •