title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Why am I seeing this window..?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Why am I seeing this window..?

I use batch convert all the time.

I always start with a folder of AIFF files & convert to m4a.

Usually, I create a folder for the m4a files & convert from the AIFF folder into the m4a folder using the "single folder" option.

Sometimes, like now, I convert into the same folder using the "existing folder" option.

In this particular instance, I have a complete Wagner Ring Cycle in 4 separate folders, all within a main folder:

Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 13.43.41.jpg

When I select the main folder in "batch convert" & convert into "existing folders", it usually just does it.

But, occasionally, I get a window like this:

Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 13.36.47.jpg

In the past, when I've seen this window, I have gone back to the finder & made a copy of the whole set of folders, just in case something gets screwed up, then done "existing folders" in batch convert again & it never comes up with this window a second time, even though nothing has changed.

So...

What's it for? What's it telling me? Am I okay to just click "okay"?

Administrator

Re: Why am I seeing this window..?

It tells you the files exist? and you will overwrite them.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It tells you the files exist? and you will overwrite them.
    But if I'm instructing it to convert to a different file format, why will it overwrite them?

Also, as soon as I make a copy of the folders (to keep safe in a different location) & then do exactly the same command, it doesn't comes up with this warning, but instead makes an m4a file that sits beside each AIFF file in the same folder, as expected.

This makes no sense to me.

Administrator

Those files must exist, perhaps you converted before?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Nope.

When I come to do it again, I'll supply full screenshots of the workflow.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Also, just to reiterate... When I make a copy of these files in a separate location, just for safe keeping, I don't get this window, even though I'm doing the exact same thing.

Administrator

Whilst that page is showing browse using Finder to the location and path it is showing for destination and have a look what is there.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Whilst that page is showing browse using Finder to the location and path it is showing for destination and have a look what is there.
    I'll try. The only problem is that - iirc - the columns don't open far enough to show the full path, which was one of the reasons I had to ask for help in the first place.

I'll check it out again when it next happens.

Super Moderator

When selecting destination format & folder, there is a "Converting N files" button in the top right corner, which opens a window showing the files selected for conversion with their expected output per current settings, with expected output file sizes etc.

You must be clicking that instead of "Convert >" at the bottom. It has nothing to do with destination files already existing.

I'll change it to be more obvious and address readability issues.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Honestly, I don't think I am, but I'll keep an eye out for that. Another senior moment, perhaps?
    Last edited by snowdog; 01-03-2020 at 05:39 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, I didn't have the "issue" this time, so that must've been it. Thanks for the patience & perseverence, everyone.