title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Album Art doesn't add pics to Files ripped from CD by Windows Media Player

Album Art doesn't add pics to Files ripped from CD by Windows Media Player

I have 300 CDs ripped to my hard drive with Windows Media Player. I copied these to USB drive for playing in the car, ran Album Art on the USB drive, but the album art does not display on the car screen. The three CDs I ripped using dbPowerAmp show up just fine in the car screen. The last three CDs show, under "Contains," the following: "album art, CRC, ID tags, [Vorbis comments)". Earlier Windows Media Player ripped song tracks show "CD TOC, ID Tag [ID3v2.3&ID3v1.1]."

How can I attach the added Album Art in a way such that it will display in my car?

I looked through 20 pages of the Album Art Forum, as well as the How Do I? forum without finding an answer I could associate with this particular issue, although it was educational.

Thanks for your help.

Administrator

Re: Album Art doesn't add pics to Files ripped from CD by Windows Media Player

Perhaps it is more to do with the audio format, which is used for media player rips and which is for dbpoweramp rips?

I'm not smart enough to know that, but I'm hoping someone on this forum is. Since 90% of the PCs ever shipped have Windows, which includes Windows Media Player, perhaps a knowledgeable person has encountered and surmounted this.

Right now I'm not sure what use Album Art is to me, since I'll rip CDs from now with CD ripper and enjoy the included cover art. My 300 older CDs will continue giving me title and artist on a black background.

dBpoweramp Guru

if you open these files with windows file explorer, select, then right click and select properties, do you see the artwork?

No, what I see is "CD TOC, ID Tag [ID3v2.3&ID3v1.1]." and yet Windows Media Player shows all music files with album art when played from PC, both ones ripped by Media Player and those ripped by Disk Ripper. Media Player has always shown cover art when played on my PC. When copied to a USB drive and played in car (2018 Hyundai Elantra), only the ones ripped by Disk Ripper (and a few singles I bought from Amazon when they would sell them without copy protection for a $1.00) show cover art.
    Last edited by Lester; 12-30-2019 at 09:07 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

at the bottom of that screen showing CD TOC, there should be a subtitle called ALBUM ART. Do you see that? Anything underneath it. I suspect that WMP (like itunes) keeps the artwork in a separate database file on the PC. So when you copy to the USB drive, it doesn't have the artwork. There's probably a way to open these files in WMP and find a setting to "embed" the artwork inside the files. Then they will likely show the artwork. I have no idea how to do that in WMP, as I don't use that program.

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you have the program, PerfectTunes. If so, you should try to let PerfectTunes fix (add) artwork. It is likely to be correct 90% or more of the time.

Album Art is one of the programs on PerfectTunes, and the only one that deals directly with artwork. As I mentioned, I ran that program on the USB drive in an attempt to fix the artwork,but without success. The artwork appears for all CDs, both on the PC hard drive and on the USB drive, when played with Media Player on the PC. The artwork does not appear in the car for CDs ripped with Media Player.

dBpoweramp Guru

You say you tried to fix the artwork with PerfectTunes but without success. Did it do anything? did it suggest new artwork? And if so, did you tell it to save the new artwork (FIX). Did you tell it to embed the artwork? It's not clear you allowed the AlbumArt program to do its job. Do this:

1. Open these files in PerfectTunes (select the appropriate directory containing these files).
    2. Click on the "wrench" graphic in upper right side of program. Once these tool options open, tick the EMBED ART box. You should also change the maximum size to be somewhere between probably 300x300 to 1000x1000. Up to you.
    3. Click the FIX button next to the album to select the art shown.

I'd try the above with one album first, as a test to see how it works for you.

dBpoweramp Guru

Search these forums for issues with Windows Media Player and artwork.

It is recommended here NOT to allow WMP to handle your audio library as it creates hidden artwork files and begins to override other artwork/tags that you use.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Search these forums for issues with Windows Media Player and artwork.

It is recommended here NOT to allow WMP to handle your audio library as it creates hidden artwork files and begins to override other artwork/tags that you use.
    Agree, I wouldn't let wmp touch my files as a player because of the issues you note. In fact, I always disable wmp in any new windows install so I can't even accidentally use it. I use foobar2000 as my windows pc player.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I always disable wmp in any new windows install so I can't even accidentally use it. I use foobar2000 as my windows pc player.
    I do exactly the same.

Happy New Year to all.