title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Unable to move music from PC to NAS

Unable to move music from PC to NAS

Happy Christmas!
    I've recently come across this problem. After ripping a CD, to the Windows "Music" folder, I am unable to copy and paste to the QNAP/HS-251+/Asset Server. (Windows would allow me to do so to other non-HS251 locations). I can't decide whether it is a Windows problem (seems doubtful), a QNAP one or an Asset one, but given that I can't transfer to either the Linn Kazoo or Minim servers, I suspect that it is likely to be a QNAP one. The interesting thing is that I can play all the music from these servers which I had previously transferred there. I'd be grateful for any thoughts, please. Thank you

Administrator

Re: Unable to move music from PC to NAS

You should copy and paste not to the UPnP server on the QNAP, rather the network share.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You should copy and paste not to the UPnP server on the QNAP, rather the network share.
    Many thanks for such a fast response. Christmas day, too! But regret am still struggling. I get (via Control Panel) to "Networks and Internet" then have options for "Network and Sharing Centre" or
    "Internet Options". From the Network and Sharing Centre I can view the devices - Media Devices showing Asset UPnP (also the Linn and Minim servers) and also HS251 under Storage. But no luck with being able to transfer the music. The network settings (Private Ethernet)look OK to me.

I wonder of something has changed in the last few months since I last ripped and transferred music. I used to be able to open HS251, click on Multimedia and simply paste or drag and drop?

Thanks, again

Administrator

You would use Windows File Explorer, on the left hand side open 'Network' and browse to the nas that way.

Thanks. I have tried that way and the route goes: Network - Desktop - Media Devices [incl Asset UPnP]- Storage - HS251. But still cannot move files there. So I assume that there is a drive mapping problem and I can only think of removing the NAS totally from the PC and starting again. Unless I have missed something. Either way, the appearance of the NAS in Windows Explorer looks different from that I remember.

Administrator

Your nas should appear directly under Network, log into it from the web page and ensure network sharing (CIFS) is enabled.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Your nas should appear directly under Network, log into it from the web page and ensure network sharing (CIFS) is enabled.
    HarryO, open the File Explorer .png link below - this is what you should see in your File Explorer
    Per "Spoon" under network you should see your NAS & in that will be your Music share or whatever you or QNAP call it.
    If you can see that you should be able to drag & drop or copy/paste the file into NAS/Music
    Also note I have the NAS mapped & can do the same to that
    If you can't see NAS with Music share, you might have SMB disabled on the QNAP

File Explorer.png
    Last edited by Mike-B; 12-28-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-B View Post
    HarryO, open the File Explorer .png link below - this is what you should see in your File Explorer
    Per "Spoon" under network you should see your NAS & in that will be your Music share or whatever you or QNAP call it.
    If you can see that you should be able to drag & drop or copy/paste the file into NAS/Music
    Also note I have the NAS mapped & can do the same to that
    If you can't see NAS with Music share, you might have SMB disabled on the QNAP

File Explorer.png
    HarryO-Explorer View.jpg

Thank you Spoon and Mike-B. I can see that my Explorer view (attached)differs from Mike-B's quite a bit. But although, as you can see, I have been accessing via "Network", there is no option to copy and paste etc. So it may well be that my problem is the "SMB" on the QNAP - if only I had a clue. My only defence is that I have been ripping and transferring music to the NAS - and its predecessor for 7 years without much problem. But I am totally stumped.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

.... yes like you say, your File Explorer is a bit different, but that's a whole other issue.
    The problem with the screen shot you've posted is it has not shown the Network>NAS path open & showing the NAS shares, if you can see the Music Share & the File Folders in that, then you have a path & can copy/paste and/or drag/drop
    I'm not a QNAP user so maybe better wait to find someone who can answer the SMB question
    Last edited by Mike-B; 12-30-2019 at 05:09 AM.

.... yes like you say, your File Explorer is a bit different, but that's a whole other issue.
    The problem with the screen shot you've posted is it has not shown the Network>NAS path open & showing the NAS shares, if you can see the Music Share & the File Folders in that, then you have a path & can copy/paste and/or drag/drop
    I'm not a QNAP user so maybe better wait to find someone who can answer the SMB question
    Many thanks sir! To be honest, I'm getting a bit disillusioned with QNAP for a number of reasons. I would be grateful to know one you use - if you are happy to disclose; if not, please accept my thanks for your time and trouble

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I use Synology, but please don't get disillusioned with QNAP, I know a lot of people who use them & are more than happy.
    Plus I've helped set up systems that have QNAP & they are not that much different to Synology except in the detail of the OS GUI

I use Synology, but please don't get disillusioned with QNAP, I know a lot of people who use them & are more than happy.
    Plus I've helped set up systems that have QNAP & they are not that much different to Synology except in the detail of the OS GUI
    Thanks. That is helpful to know. I was, and am, basing my opinion largely on the lack of user-friendliness of the QNAP website but on reflection, there is no guarantee than others would be an improvement! So I will carry on trying to sort out the Network issue and that of the NAS webpage (which doesn't appear when I click on the icon from Windows Explorer but does from Firefox)...

Mike B and Spoon,
    Thank you so much for your help and patience. With your advice I have now sorted the problem - in short it was a combination of needing at least 2 user names/passwords for different things on the QNAP website (which I maintain was never sufficiently clear)and my own lack of diligence in failing to check for firmware updates for the NAS.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Good stuff Harry, happy listening as we move into 2020