title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using EQ vs Gain

Using EQ vs Gain

Hello,

for ripping CD's with lower/poorer quality, Is it quicker/better to use the gain controller or the EQ? I understand EQ's completely and that will be by trial and error I'm sure; However I don't have a comprehensible understanding of the gain controller as it applies to ripping.

Thanks

Bo

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Using EQ vs Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Bo G. View Post
    Hello,

for ripping CD's with lower/poorer quality, Is it quicker/better to use the gain controller or the EQ? I understand EQ's completely and that will be by trial and error I'm sure; However I don't have a comprehensible understanding of the gain controller as it applies to ripping.

Thanks

Bo
    do you mean adding ReplayGain tags. I would add album and track ReplayGain tags to all rips no matter what. Your car player may or may not be able to use them, but good to have them for the future.

What do they do?

dBpoweramp Guru

What do they do?
    with a ReplayGain capable player the intra-track or intra-album volume differences are automatically adjusted. Think about the situation where different CDs can be very different volumes. Solves this problem.

Gotcha. There are two gain options. One says (apply). Which to use? I'm glad for the help because I only want to do this once.

dBpoweramp Guru

Gotcha. There are two gain options. One says (apply). Which to use? I'm glad for the help because I only want to do this once.
    As Gary has mentioned, ReplayGain only writes only a tag, leaving the file bit perfect - this is the one many of us use. I highly recommend you keep a bit perfect master file and backup - especially as you only want to do this once!

ReplayGain Apply is destructive, so if you feel that you need it, I would save a master file (and backup!) without using it and save to a different location / name if required - this can be done as a Batch Conversion later.
    Last edited by Oggy; 12-25-2019 at 02:37 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    As Gary has mentioned, ReplayGain only writes only a tag, leaving the file bit perfect - this is the one many of us use. I highly recommend you keep a bit perfect master file and backup - especially as you only want to do this once!

ReplayGain Apply is destructive, so if you feel that you need it, I would save a master file (and backup!) without using it and save to a different location / name if required - this can be done as a Batch Conversion later.
    agree!