title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Lossy png (artist art) in Asset

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Lossy png (artist art) in Asset

I've got artist art (not album art) in the png format which is too big, so I'm considering to do a lossy compression of those files. From what I understand this makes the files non-standard, since png is normally lossless. Nevertheless, lossy png's is not uncommon and seem to work well in web browsers.

I've been trying out a few apps to do the compression, but with mixed results - they seem to compress differently and also apply transparency differently. In my limited testing it seems to be a hit & miss of using the right combo of writer & reader. A common problem is that transparent files sometimes get a coloured background, and it seems that the writer or lack of support in the reader could be the cause of this.

I've tested with a few lossy png's in Asset and so far they show up correctly, but I need to do more testing to learn which apps produce high quality, small size png's that work universally.

My questions here:

1. Are there any known issues with lossy png in Asset? Since this is artist art stored in Asset's own database, have you experienced any problems indexing certain lossy png's?

2. I presume Asset sends png's "as is" to the CP (Asset Control in my case), which then also has to support lossy png's?

3. Can Image Converter compress lossy png's? I haven't had time to check that out yet, too busy with other apps at the moment.

Administrator

Re: Lossy png (artist art) in Asset

1. We have never tried, for maximum compatibilty you would be better with jpg which is lossy.
    2. Yes
    3. Image converter only writes lossless png

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Lossy png (artist art) in Asset

Thanks. Actually most of my artist art is jpeg presently, but I want transparent backgrounds for band logos which jpeg doesn't support.

If anyone knows of a program or a plugin for Photoshop that can make transparent, lossy png's that are "universal" - please let me know. I've tested a few but some of them have problems creating the transparency and some don't compress enough.