title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Files in iTunes are keeping their library names & not using the altered names

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Files in iTunes are keeping their library names & not using the altered names

So, I recently ripped a box set of Wagner CDs.

I ripped to AIFF, (as I always do, because they're a bit more convenient on a Mac).

I then went in renamed all the tracks in the finder, so that they're consistent & how I liked them. I then converted them all to AAC for iTunes.

In the finder they show the names I game them but in iTunes, they show the original names they were downloaded with.

I shall take this up with apple but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions? Anything I might try to turn the given file names into meta tags without going track by track?

Administrator

Re: Files in iTunes are keeping their library names & not using the altered names

Apple will most likely show the data from the ID Tags, you would have to also edit the id tags as well as rename the files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Files in iTunes are keeping their library names & not using the altered names

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Apple will most likely show the data from the ID Tags, you would have to also edit the id tags as well as rename the files.
    Yes, itunes is definitely using the tag information not the file names themselves. Use the "tag from filename" utility DSP within dpba (that is, "convert to: tag from filename") to automatically use the filename info to modify the file metadata tags. You may need to download this DSP from dbpa Codec Central (look at top of forum page) and install it if you haven't previously installed it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yep, that's exactly what it is doing. I just wondered if there were some functionality in dBpa that I don't know about that might solve this.

Alternatively, is it possible to do a "find & change" on multiple song titles within dBpa before I rip the CD, the way I can in the finder on my Mac?

It's so much quicker doing it that way than track by track!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what it is doing. I just wondered if there were some functionality in dBpa that I don't know about that might solve this.

Alternatively, is it possible to do a "find & change" on multiple song titles within dBpa before I rip the CD, the way I can in the finder on my Mac?

It's so much quicker doing it that way than track by track!

reread my earlier response. I described the function in dbpa that will fix your problem (tag from filename utility dsp). And it can automatically do it to a large batch of files, not track by track. So you could correct the metadata tags on all your renamed files in a single batch with a couple of mouse clicks.
    Last edited by garym; 12-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry, your post wasn't there when I replied to Spoon. (Or if it was, I was having a senior moment.)

I did find a nice free app last night that did the job, but it's a bit fiddly, so I shall follow up on your suggestion when I get home.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sadly, the only "tag from filename" codec I can find is an exe file from Windows. If it's built in to my Mac version, I can't see it anywhere.

dBpoweramp Guru

no clue about the Mac versions of any of these items.

Administrator

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    So, as far as I can see, this is the relevant info:

[Tag From Filename]
    Splits a filename and creates ID Tags from the filename and path, for audio files which have no ID Tags but constant filenames.
    Tag Recognition this is where the format of the filenames is entered, for example audio files are in the format:
    /A Folder/4 Madonna - Holiday.mp3
    /A Folder/6 Eminem - My Name Is.mp3
    Tag Recognition would be set to: [track] [artist] - [title]
    Another example:
    /SomeFolder/ArtistName/AlbumName/TrackNumber Artist - Title.mp3 Tag recognition would be set to:
    /[artist]/[album]/[track] [artist] - [title]
    To recognize [ and ] as fixed string enter [[ ]], for example track number is surrounded by [], example: [12] so recognition would be [[[track]]]
    dBpoweramp has a set of standard tag elements, such as [artist], but any tag value can be specified in [ ] brackets, by using standard tag elements ensures they are mapped to the correct locations.

Now, it may well be that I'm not techy enough to fully understand what's being said here, but that looks to me like the function I used to add a disc number & a hyphen to my track numbering when I'm about to rip a multi-disc item (1-02, 1-02, 2-01, 2-02, etc.) but I can't see how I'd use that AFTER I've ripped the tracks & then corrected all the file names in the finder, to then change the tags that appear in iTunes.

dBpoweramp Guru

You do batch convert using the dbpa batch converter, then select the files you've changed names of, then "convert to" the utility DSP "tag from filename". In that DSP you'll do the settings above to tell it how to use file names and path to create tag info.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Currently, the tracks in iTunes look like this:

Screenshot 2019-12-18 at 18.21.08.jpg

When I go to Batch Convert & select them, we're looking at the files in my finder & they are named correctly:

Screenshot 2019-12-18 at 18.20.56.jpg

When I click on the DSP list, I don't see the tag editor you're referencing.

Screenshot 2019-12-18 at 18.22.07.jpgScreenshot 2019-12-18 at 18.22.07.jpg

As mentioned previously, the Tag Editor codec is an EXE file & not usable on my Mac.

Apologies again for being thick as a whale omelette if I'm missing something.

Also, this makes it look as though I'm also going to convert the files to AAC format which I don't need to do as they're already MP3s.

dBpoweramp Guru

In your last screen shot, where it says "encoding to" (at very top of page) instead of AAC there, that's where the "filename to tag" would showup instead. This is NOT a DSP you add halfway down that page. That may be why you're not seeing the correct DSP. It must be selected at the top where you have "ecode to" or "convert to". But if it's not in the dropdown list, you don't have it installed. I have no idea whether it is part of the Mac version. If not, there's a way to do the same thing in mp3tag program.
    Last edited by garym; 12-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, it's not there &, in fairness, I can do what I need in the "tag editor" app I found recently. But it's a bit clunky & it would just be cool if I could do it all in dbPa because everything else works so well.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, it's not there &, in fairness, I can do what I need in the "tag editor" app I found recently. But it's a bit clunky & it would just be cool if I could do it all in dbPa because everything else works so well.
    You can use this tagging program to do a batch creation/edit of tags based on filenames and paths using the 'Convert > "filename to tag"' function. If you have questions, please post at the mp3tag forum, as it's not fair to use dbpa forum for another software. mp3tag

Last edited by garym; 12-18-2019 at 05:45 PM.