title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Applying replaygain vs volume normalisation

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Applying replaygain vs volume normalisation

what is the difference?

If i take a batch of files, first put replaygain tags and then apply replaygain, is it any different from using the volume normalisation dsp?

Also, like replaygain has the 'album gain' option, why is there nothing similar for volume normalisation? Is volume normalisation same as applying replaygain (track gain)?

I am only interested in normalisation or applying replaygain, since my player does not read replay gain tags. So which one?

I understand the original files are altered, but is there some sort of compression involved too in both of these two processes?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Applying replaygain vs volume normalisation

They have the same result.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks. Just need one help: Would you recommend using the equaliser dsp while ripping, both in foobar and dbpoweramp? I have ripped some elvis using the feature in foobar 2000, and it seems some of the echo and reverb in elvis' voice in the recordings is missing...

Administrator

I would not recommend using equalizer.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks a ton

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How do I apply replaygain to pre-existing lossy files, like MP3 from google store, without transcoding?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    How do I apply replaygain to pre-existing lossy files, like MP3 from google store, without transcoding?

You can't. To apply the gain, the audio will have to be re-written. Applying the gain to lossless files will also make those no longer lossless. Best approach if one needs files with RG gain applied is to keep the orginal files as an archive and create a separate set of files with gain applied.
    Last edited by garym; 12-11-2019 at 04:13 PM.