title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Flac compression level 5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hosoo
    • Dec 2019

Flac compression level 5

Why is flac level 5 recommended when level 8 make the file more smaller?
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Flac compression level 5

Originally posted by Hosoo
    Why is flac level 5 recommended when level 8 make the file more smaller?
    It sounds even better. No, just joking...

Level 8 produces more CPU load with only a very small advantage of file size.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      It sounds even better. No, just joking...

Level 8 produces more CPU load with only a very small advantage of file size.

Dat Ei
      more load when creating. But Essentially the same when DECODING. Also in the past some players would have problems decoding compression 8 files.
      in my own case I use 5 compression.

Comment

• Michael Sargent
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2009

I have used level 8 for everything since I first started using FLAC. I have never had any problems. So, I see no point in wasting disk space (especially since I only have 653 GB left on a 4 TB drive).

Mike

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Michael Sargent
          I have used level 8 for everything since I first started using FLAC. I have never had any problems. So, I see no point in wasting disk space (especially since I only have 653 GB left on a 4 TB drive).

Mike
          I use a laptop with a basic Celeron processor and have had no issues either encoding, or decoding using level 8.

All friends and work colleagues that I know of use the default setting, except one who uses Uncompressed...

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

For example, In the past my Squeezebox Transporter would struggle with FLAC files encoded at 8. The problem was solved with an update to the firmware.

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by garym
              For example, In the past my Squeezebox Transporter would struggle with FLAC files encoded at 8. The problem was solved with an update to the firmware.
              Interesting to know Gary. All seems good with the Squeezebox Touch, but I probably had later firmware before trying level 8.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Oggy
                Interesting to know Gary. All seems good with the Squeezebox Touch, but I probably had later firmware before trying level 8.
                It was an odd problem. Never affected the TOUCH, only the Transporter. (And new firmware cured for the Transporter too). Can't recall what was actually causing the problem (and not sure I would understand the underlying technicalities in any case).

Comment

• Jeanclone
                  • Dec 2019

Hopefully in the future flac start naming the compression levels like monkey's audio and wavpack did via fast normal high extra high

Comment

Working...

]]>