title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with new CD Drive

Problems with new CD Drive

Hi,

Just purchased dBpoweramp and today using a brand new Thinkpad external slim USB drive to rip CD's to my Thinkpad laptop. I'm having an unexpected problem:

When I first connected the drive dBpoweramp asked to configure the drive which it did successfully. Ripped the same CD as used for configuration as suggested and all good. Next CD reached track 3 or so and then got stuck in a 'loop' of ripping Pass 1 then Pass 2 then frames... Tried restarting a few times with no luck (This same CD ripped perfectly with my old Dell drive). Reset the offset to 0, disconnected the drive and reconnected to the laptop. After another successful drive configuration I tried the same CD - perfect, ripped quickly with AccurateRip matches on all tracks. Pressed on with the ripping with a stack of CD's and no problems, then randomly I had the same problem. Went through the same steps above and ended up ripping this CD with perfect results. I can't understand why this is happening - is it likely that I have a faulty drive or is there some config/setting I need to look at?

Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Re: Problems with new CD Drive

If you have C2 pointers enabled, disable them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you have C2 pointers enabled, disable them.
    Not enabled in Settings. First thing I checked.

Administrator

It is probably a poor drive at ripping, I would replace with a different brand.

It is probably a poor drive at ripping, I would replace with a different brand.
    Really? Why would it/any drive be poor at ripping? If I'm going for a different brand what would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
    Really? Why would it/any drive be poor at ripping? If I'm going for a different brand what would you suggest?
    Could it be that the drive offset/other settings are in fact incorrect?

Administrator

It cannot be offset, if frames are appearing as re-rip / error, then it is the drive 100%

Try any from here:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Accuracy-2019

It cannot be offset, if frames are appearing as re-rip / error, then it is the drive 100%

Try any from here:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Accuracy-2019
    None of those seem to be stand alone/USB drives

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
    None of those seem to be stand alone/USB drives

One can buy a USB enclosure that allows you to install a SATA drive inside the enclosure and use it with USB connection. For example, I use this one (outdated now but something like it will be available). You just unscrew a few screws, plug in the drive to a cable inside, and you're good to go. very simple.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dBpoweramp Guru

You don't even need an enclosure, the "internal" drives are already "enclosed" in a metal case. Buy the internal drive(s) of your choice and a USB to SATA adapter and drive power supply, and you are good to go. Just be a little careful not to break the SATA connectors, otherwise you'll be buying another... The only thing to watch is to always use the same USB port on the computer. If you use a different one, the computer may assign a different drive letter and that can confuse DBPA's drive offset recognition.