title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripped cds are of poor quality or hardly audible

Ripped cds are of poor quality or hardly audible

am baffled having followed instructions and configuration to the letter . The cds have apparently ripped accurately error free but when files are transferred to a new Astell &kerns Kann cube and a Brennan 2 b the quality of sound when played on home hi fi is very very poor and just about audible respectively . The set up at home has been checked by the high end installer and I’ve played the Kann cube on their set up in their listening studio and it is just as bad . I am clearly doing something very wrong . When I play the cd through the original CD player , quality through lavardin amp and kef speakers is wonderful.
    I haven’t been able to determine whether the external cd dive supports c2 error pointers so I have deselected that option. I didn’t get a prompt to do the offset for AccurateRip but the ripping procedure reports successful ripping with accurate rip reports so nothing seems amiss there either .

I apologise for this very open rambling question but I wonder has anyone encountered something similar .
    And yes ,I am a complete dunce on such matters but believe me I have spent days trying to work it out myself before taking this last resort . Any suggestions gratefully received .

Administrator

Re: Ripped cds are of poor quality or hardly audible

If your rips are verified by AccurateRip and you are not using any DSP effects, then the audio in the file is 100% correct.

Which format are you ripping to?

Thank you . Format selected is FLAC

Am using the DSP options of Replay Gain and HDCD as prompted by illustrate instructions

Administrator

Try as a test:

remove those dsp effects

if still not sounding right, try ripping to wave

dBpoweramp Guru

No suggestions, but something is odd. The ripped FLACs should sound identical to the CD. There are settings in the HDCD that affect volume. As spoon says, rip without the HDCD DSP.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No suggestions, but something is odd. The ripped FLACs should sound identical to the CD. There are settings in the HDCD that affect volume. As spoon says, rip without the HDCD DSP.
    Will do thank you all