title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Metadata retrieval

Metadata retrieval

When ripping a CD, I spend the majority of my time searching and correcting metadata. Way too much time. Discogs is notoriously inaccurate with composers. Freedb doesn't even have composers and the rest that are available simply aren't very accurate as well. They can't be trusted. Some even take the previous composer and inserts it for composers that have blank spaces. That always flabbergasts me and I find myself smacking my own forehead. Why??? would they do that? Why do they insert inaccurate data just to fill blanks? I was wondering if you're ever considered starting your own database for metadata. I know you have PerfecTUNES, but I'm talking about a simple retrieval db, similar to what is already present in the ripper with these other inaccurate dbs. You could set it up similarly to AccurateRip, or what I assume would be similar, whereby the data gets submitted once a month or so and then only the matches are kept as retrievable metadata and even possible locked down after so many similar submissions. This would make the program so much more valuable to me and others and then you wouldn't need Discogs, Music Brainz, et al. After awhile, people would come to view the metadata as being just as accurate as they do the rip status now. If this isn't an option, is it possible to pull this data from Wikipedia? I find them to be much more accurate than any of these that are available at this time. That's usually where I go and do a lot of copying and pasting. Thanks for what you've created so far, I just want more.

Administrator

Re: Metadata retrieval

The trouble is, there are around 3 million CDs, perhaps if 10 years ago we setup such a project to get accurate metadata for composers it might be useful today, starting now is not really an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The trouble is, there are around 3 million CDs, perhaps if 10 years ago we setup such a project to get accurate metadata for composers it might be useful today, starting now is not really an option.
    OK. It was just a thought. The problem I have with current Metadata retrieval dbs is that they all have problems. Big problems, as far as I'm concerned. They will continue to have problems unless there is a way to weed out the inaccurate submissions. Freedb doesn't list composers. I just don't understand that logic. The rest are just so inaccurate that I end up having to correct most of the metadata from the liner notes or cheat and do a copy/paste from Wikipedia, which I've found to be pretty accurate but I still have to check against the liner notes. This triples and quadruples the time I spend on ripping a CD to it's finished state. The problem with Wikipedia is that they're hung up "notablility" and will not accept a submission unless it has a lot of favorable press, which means there are a lot of albums that will never be accepted there. And it appears as it they have recently doubled-down of their rejections. They're pretty anal about it. I just thought something better was essential for anyone wanting an accurate music collection and that it could possibly help turn more people towards using your ripper. Hope you reconsider at some point. Three million CDs would probably go by pretty fast with the world making contributions. Over this past year I would have made several thousand submissions myself. BTW, thanks for a good program in dBpoweramp. Can't imagine ripping CDs without it.

Administrator

R17 will allow manual searching of the databases.