title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD ripper not working properly with replacement mac-mini

CD ripper not working properly with replacement mac-mini

I think the problem I describe may be due to CD Ripper/Accurate Rip not recognising my DVD writer drives. I have Apple Superdrive and an LG DVD rewriter. Both worked perfectly well with my old (now dead) iMAC.
    I append a post I made to Naim Forums detailing the symptoms.

Long story …

about 4 weeks ago my 10 years old iMac and my iPad Air both ‘died’. Rather than get them repaired I opted to get a Mac-Mini (16GB, 2TB SSD) + screen, and a new iPad Pro. I did debate going back to a Windows PC, but couldn’t face the thought of changing various bits of software. The dimmer switch in my study failed in the same time period. It must have been one of those weeks, because several other things needed repairing about the same time!

Anyway … all has gone relatively smoothly, and I did most of the reinstall using my Time Machine backup. I’m still using my old Apple Superdrive. Had to update dBPoweramp and a few other bits of software, but c’est la vie.

Since then I have ripped about 6 CDs. The remarks here refer to first CD rip failure. dBpoweramp settings secure/FLAC. Each time I cancelled the rips because it was saying 15000 things needed rewriting (or something to that effect). Plugged in my old external LG DVD drive. Same result. Tried ripping to WAV - same result. Tried Burst mode rip. Tried the Defective by Design setting Same result.

What next? Well, I did the rip (to FLAC/Secure) but unticked the first track. Rips all went perfectly! Converted them to FLAC with dBpoweramp

Ripped the first track to WAV using Apple Music App. Dragged to file to VLC, OK. Made a copy, and edited the metadata using dBpoweramp. In one case the metadata edited file became audibly glitchy. Deleted the glitchy file, made another copy and edited the metadata using Music Tag Editor. Played OK using VLC. Tried dBpoweramp again to convert it to FLAC - file again glitchy.

(sigh) Got fed up with the nonsense, did another rip of track 1 using Apple Music, but this time to Apple lossless, and that’s the version now sitting on my NAS.

The rest of the CDs went pretty much the same way, but for these I ripped track 1 to WAV, changed metadata using Music Tag Editor, and converted to FLAC using dBpoweramp successfully! (hooray!)

All the CDs play OK (using my Oppo 103 as I don’t feel like unboxing my Naim NDS at the moment), so they are ‘pukka’. Hence cannot be a batch of faulty CDs. Used 2 DVD drives, so unlikely to be that. Why do I have 2 drives? Well, my old external drive let’s me rip some discs that the Apple Drive fails with. Disc surfaces visually perfect.

Is this a known problem? I’m seriously debating just using Apple Music for my rips and then Music Tag Editor for metadata alterations with dBpoweramp as file converter.

Administrator

Re: CD ripper not working properly with replacement mac-mini

You would have to paste the ripping log including track 1 for us to comment.

May have to wait until I get an unripped CD to try it with.
    Have started a re-rip of Disc 2, Billie Holliday Platinum Collection Disc 2. This using the factory default settings for Secure Rip as defined by CD Ripper.
    First pass of track one (Strange Fruit) wanted to re-rip >13000 frames. I cancelled it after it had been running for a few minutes. This was the logfile :

Information converting to Wave, 'Track 1' to '/Users/johnmartin/Desktop/Temp FLAC/Billie Holiday/The Platinum factory secure/01 Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit.wav'
    Track 1: ERROR Ripping LBA 0 to 13749 (3:03) in 2:24. Filename: /Users/johnmartin/Desktop/Temp FLAC/Billie Holiday/The Platinum factory secure/01 Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit.wav

When I activated the time to abort option (set it to 4 minutes), it copied it twice and produced a playable version.
    I tried unticking Accurate Rip, and a kept the abort at 4 minutes, again a playable version resulted.

My conclusion is that the problem is with Accurate Rip and hence possible the drive offset. As I have already said, the Apple Superdrive was not giving me ripping problems on my old iMac.

So, is my solution to turn off accurate rip and set an abort time appropriate to the track lengths of the CD?

Would you believe that the LG drive is now supporting secure rips without problems! Don't know why, as the Mac hasn't been turned off. So my problem becomes moot. It's now just the Apple Superdrive that's not being 'recognised' (is that the correct terminology?)
    I'll go online and look for a nice compact drive with a small profile similar to the Apple one. Sorry to have bothered you.

Now have a new Hitachi/LG drive (which was on the AccurateRip list). CD Ripper worked perfectly with it. Problem solved.