title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset 6.3 Mac slow to re-scan

Asset 6.3 Mac slow to re-scan

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been brought up earlier. I searched the forum but couldn't find…

I'm running two instances of Asset 6.3 on a Mac Pro running macOS 10.13 High Sierra. The two instances are pointing to two separate disks, so are completely separate libraries. I have it set up so I manually have to trigger library re-scans.

Here's the problem; The first instance (with 120000 audio files) updates very quickly just like it did when I only ran that one instance. The second one (with 50000 files) however is painfully slow to refresh. Whereas the first one refreshes after about a minute the second one takes maybe ten–fifteen minutes or so.

To test I have disabled the first instance but that didn't make any difference. But, I've also set up Linn Kazoo Server pointing to the same disks and Kazoo works perfectly when refreshing both libraries.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Administrator

Re: Asset 6.3 Mac slow to re-scan

Where is the audio stored?

Hi,
    On two separate internal disks, 4 and 2 terabyte, respectively. Also FYI, 99,9% of the files are ALACs with embedded artwork. I have not seen any disk issues in any logs and transfer speeds when reading/writing is the same for both disks.

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.

Please enable debug logging in settings of the offending Asset instance, then see if there is anything interesting in the library logs, perhaps it's being stalled by specific files or folders.

I don't know if anyone can help I've just got Asset for Mac running on Catalina it works fine but doesn't see my playlists in music
    I've got a Naim NDX which I use for streaming
    I did use Playback before which worked perfect on my old Mac with high Sierra, but playback is no longer
    so I got asset which is fine apart from not seeing playlists have I got something wrong in perferences or privacy or do I need to do something different in Asset
    Its driving me mad hope someone can help
    Many thanks
    Stuart

Administrator

What created the playlists? they are m3u?

my playlists are from I tunes before Playback saw it and then I used Naim app to play them as it just copied my I tunes music which included playlists
    I have my music files all on a external hard drive connected to my Mac mini
    I really was hoping that Asset would just mirror my I tunes
    Will I need another piece of software to now do this

Administrator

Asset will not read iTunes playlists, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Asset will not read iTunes playlists, sorry.
    Thank you is there another bit of software that you know that could do this

Or point me in the direction of something like this or could I add something to Asset to do playlists

Many Thanks

Hello,
    Everyday life got in the way so I completely forgot to reply here... Sorry!

I tested a few things with logging enabled but couldn't see any particular audio file that should to the scanning process.

However I did try to both disable and delete the second instance I have and that was interesting. With instance two disabled things were slow as usual (a refresh took almost 60 minutes), but when I deleted the second instance things were back to normal. A refresh with a few new albums took about a minute.

I get the impression that – when having more than one instance - Asset doesn't do a "Detecting changes", but rescans everything from scratch regardless of which button you press in the GUI.

BTW, my two libraries are on two separate disks. What I mean is the two instances doesn't read from the same disk simultaneously so disk I/O shouldn't be an issue.

Am I on the right track? I can send you some log files if you like.

Many thanks,
    Thomas