title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc ID added to Musicbrainz but metadata still not retrieved by CD Ripper

Disc ID added to Musicbrainz but metadata still not retrieved by CD Ripper

Hi, I ripped a large number of CDs over the summer. When I found discs where the Musicbrainz metadata was not retrieved, I added the disc ID to Musicbrainz and then found that dBpoweramp retrieved the Musicbrainz metadata immediately afterwards. I ripped some more discs yesterday and again followed the same process and added a number of disc IDs to Musicbrainz. But more than 12 hours later, dBpoweramp still does not retrieve the Musicbrainz metadata for these discs. For several discs, dBpoweramp successfully retrieved the Musicbrainz metadata, where a disc ID was already in the Musicbrainz database. Has something changed or is there an issue between dBpoweramp and Musicbrainz database at the moment? Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Disc ID added to Musicbrainz but metadata still not retrieved by CD Ripper

As far as I am aware nothing has changed, perhaps they are slow at updating their database?

No, their database appears to be updated straight away. These are automatic updates that don't have to be voted on. As of just now, my dBpoweramp is still not retrieving metadata from Musicbrainz for these albums.

I tried this again on a different PC with the same results.

Here are some of the albums concerned which have their disc IDs listed in the Musicbrainz database in case you can check them:
    Nick Cave - Ghosteen
    Lankum - The Livelong Day
    The Delines - Imperial

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsriver64 View Post
    No, their database appears to be updated straight away. These are automatic updates that don't have to be voted on. As of just now, my dBpoweramp is still not retrieving metadata from Musicbrainz for these albums.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsriver64 View Post
    I tried this again on a different PC with the same results.

Here are some of the albums concerned which have their disc IDs listed in the Musicbrainz database in case you can check them:
    Nick Cave - Ghosteen
    Lankum - The Livelong Day
    The Delines - Imperial

Thanks.
    I've posted a question about this on the Musicbrainz forum. Will update here when I get a response.

Hi! Found myself with the same problem. I run a small record label and whenever we have a new CD release I add the complete Metadata to the MusicBrainz database. To check if it worked I rip the CD using dbPoweramp. Usually data shows up very soon after I entered it. My latest contributions - both made in November 2019 - are not found by dbPoweramps CD ripper. But everything is there on MusicBrainz and is found also using the Picard app.
    If anyone finds a way to fix this issue IŽd be happy!

Administrator

I think I have found the issue, the next update to R17 beta in a few days (which is in beta testing section of this forum) will fix.
    Last edited by Spoon; 12-07-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I think I have found the issue, the next update to R17 beta in a few days (which is in beta testing section of this forum) will fix.
    Are there plans to update R16 as well?

Administrator

No

The issue appears to be fixed in CD Ripper R17b5, but not from batch ripper...

Hey, Spoon I submitted some new CD TOCs to MB yesterday and they aren't found when querying with the latest R17 beta I installed today.
    Here are my steps.
    1. Submit new TOC using MusicBrainz Picard (their tagging app)
    2. Wait >=24 hours
    3. Insert same disc and query with Ripper (R17 Beta6)

Observed: No results found. Querying the same disc using Picard will return the right disc.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help debug. It just now occurs to me that Picard could be querying some special place that's unknown to Ripper, but I kinda doubt it.

Administrator

The music brainz ID would be good.

Actually, I think it might have been user error. I've been experimenting further.
    1. MB have updated their sync process so that adding a CD TOC is queryable in a few seconds.
    2. I've tried a couple other discs that weren't in MB.
    2b. Insert disc, verify Picard and Ripper don't find it.
    2c. Use Picard to add TOC to existing correct album on MB.
    2d. Wait 10-15 seconds and query again with Picard - album is now found.
    2e. Re-query with Ripper and album is now found as well!

I think the problem with my disc from yesterday is that the TOC was associated with the wrong album, I added the TOC to the right album, and that gave two search results from MB to Ripper. I assume in this situation it drops them both, especially if there are other results found in GD3, Freedb, and Discogs. <-- Is that a good assumption?

Administrator

Perhaps yes.