title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replay apply on pre-existing MP3 files

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Replaygain apply on pre-existing MP3 files

Hi, I have many Mp3 files purchased online which do not have replaygain tags. How do I scan them for replaygain in dbpoweramp, and then apply replaygain, without transcoding? I know how to do this when I am converting formats only. But if I don't convert formats and just scan them, is it possible? I know how to do this on foobar.
    Last edited by Partha; 11-08-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Administrator

Re: Replaygain apply on pre-existing MP3 files

You can scan and write ID Tags without reencoding (look at utility codec 'Replay Gain'), it is the players job to apply replaggain when playing the file.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Can you please explain the process. Once I put the files in the converter, don't I have to change the format to something else to make this change? Also, how about if I want to apply replaygain without changing the mp3 format?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

In foobar, this can be done by 'scan with replay' and then 'apply replay'. But I want to do this in dbpoweramp

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Partha View Post
    Once I put the files in the converter, don't I have to change the format to something else to make this change?
    No. Download and install the Replay Gain utility codec from here: dBpoweramp Codec Central: Utility Codecs

Once in converter, you can select [ReplayGain] from the Encoding dropdown.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Got it! Thanks!
    Last edited by Partha; 11-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Also, can someone please tell me if i need to turn on soundcheck in my ithing for the itunes album or track normalisation to take effect? or will turning on soundcheck change the levels? If I'm not mistaken, the foobar ios player will read replaygain tags by DEFAULT instead of me having t turn anything on?
    Last edited by Partha; 11-08-2019 at 01:54 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Also, can someone please tell me if i need to turn on soundcheck in my ithing for the itunes album or track normalisation to take effect? or will turning on soundcheck change the levels? If I'm not mistaken, the foobar ios player will read replaygain tags by DEFAULT instead of me having t turn anything on?

Your ithings and itunes will not use replay gain tags. It will only use the SOUNDCHECK tags to adjust/normalize volumes. I recall that in iThings there is a setting for turning soundcheck on or off.

EDIT: Then again, if you actually use ReplayGain (apply) then your mp3 files are permanently volume normalized, and you'd want to turn Soundcheck OFF. It is not 100% clear from your posts whether you want these mp3 files to be permanently volume normalized or whether you just want to add the RG tags.
    Last edited by garym; 11-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I want to know two things now:

1. Can the music player in my iphone read the itunes norm tags from dbpoweramp automatically, without turning soundcheck on?

2. Just like i can add replay gain tags without changing the format in the converter, can i also apply replay gain (for permanent change) without changing the format? The utility thing doesn’t give the option to apply replaygain.

dBpoweramp Guru

Replaygain recalculates and reencodes the data.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

I want to know two things now:

1. Can the music player in my iphone read the itunes norm tags from dbpoweramp automatically, without turning soundcheck on?

2. Just like i can add replay gain tags without changing the format in the converter, can i also apply replay gain (for permanent change) without changing the format? The utility thing doesn&*8217;t give the option to apply replaygain.

1. No
    2. If you use Replay Gain (Apply) this will cause the audio of the file to be changed irreversibly. As noted, this will rewrite the mp3 files to incorporate the volume normalization. This is very different from simply adding ReplayGain tags (which does NOT change the audio of the file).

You may want to look at a program like mp3gain. I haven't used it, but I recall that with it you can volume normalize mp3 files so that any player will play them properly but the volume normalization is reversible with the software.

Also, if you're using an iphone, why not consider using foobar2000 as the mobile player on the phone instead. foobar2000 mobile reads and uses ReplayGain tags in playback, so there is no need to do any permanent volume normalization.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks! I love the foobar 2000 mobile for ios, but individual albums and files loaded into the foobar player take so much time to delete! They have to be deleted one by one.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks! I love the foobar 2000 mobile for ios, but individual albums and files loaded into the foobar player take so much time to delete! They have to be deleted one by one.
    Aha. You need to check into TuneFusion, by the makers of dbpoweramp. Perfect application for adding/removing/synching music files to foobar2000 mobile on your iphone/ipad.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Oh! I need some tutorial on this!

dBpoweramp Guru