title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Copyright Symbol in Tag Editor.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Copyright Symbol in Tag Editor.

I have been doing a lot of Vinyl ripping lately. I record the albums to 24 bit / 96khz WAV files as my digital recorder is capable of this. I then edit the files Adobe Audition, as well as Tagging the files. Audition file tagging is useless in WAV files, but it lets me batch save the files using file names based on the ID3 tags I input, and then I use MP3Tag to automatically tag the files based on file names. This workflow works pretty well for me.

However, when I insert the copyright symbol in the Copyright ID3 tag, the symbol shows up correctly in Audition, but viewing the tags in tag editor (the right click menu edit ID tags or File Properties, there are extra garbage characters shown before the ©. Why is this?

Example attached: Capture.PNG

Administrator

Re: Copyright Symbol in Tag Editor.

That is because Audition is writing unicode UTF-8 tags to a WAVE LIST Tag which is not part of the specification.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

But tag editor recognizes the tag as it is there when I open the file, so why the extra character?

dBpoweramp Guru

Unicode UTF-8 charaters are coded in 1 up to 4 bytes. A correct wave list tag expects 1 byte per character. So if Audition has written multiple bytes per character those are decoded byte by byte and displayed as 1 to 4 characters.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification.