title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Pop noises at start of SOME tracks

Pop noises at start of SOME tracks

Hi all,

Forgive me if I sound a bit noobish. I'm having an issue that I know has affected a few other people in the past. However, I'm having my own issue that differs from what I've read about. I have a number of discs that when ripped, produce a few tracks which begin with a slight pop sound. Some of these discs fall under the category of "I don't hear the pop sound if I play the album straight through" and others give me files with the pop sound occurring when there is normally silence between tracks. I play my music on my phone which is hooked up to an amplifier. I have read that ID tags can sometimes confuse players and make them think that a tag is part of an audio file, but I rip to .aif and I don't see any setting in the configuration tab that allows me to disable tagging. I don't think that is the issue as on my computer and in iTunes, I test-played the same files that pop on my phone. The pops were still part of the specific files when I played them on my computer. It is important to note that all my rips have come out as accurate. At first, I assumed this slight popping was due to offset complications but I'm not sure because it is happening on tracks that don't overlap without silence. Also, I am not supposed to hear my offset because it is only +6.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thank you in advance!

Administrator

Re: Pop noises at start of SOME tracks

Some audio tracks are badly mastered, this means instead of finishing the track on a quiet part, it finishes right in the middle of audio, which depending on the next track can cause a 'pop'. Are you on a mac or windows?

I suspected that is what the problem is. A bit of the previous track is extending into the next track. On other songs, I hear not pops, but short bits of the previous track at the start of a new track. An offset of +6 is supposed to be inaudible, so I always thought this was due to the way the tracks are placed on the CD.

I use a PC to rip and then home share the files into my Mac via iTunes (or Music, as it is now called). My Mac has more storage space.

I will say that when I had the setting overread into lead-in/out enabled, I would often hear a pop at the very end of the last track on a CD, so I disabled that feature and that pop would disappear. I feel like there is nothing I can really do about the pops I am still hearing. Is that true?

Thanks.
    Last edited by joeyc410; 10-24-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Administrator

Load 'Audacity' on your PC, so you can look at the actual audio data at the start of the track.

Generally 6 samples are inaudible.

Sounds like a good idea!

I was just thinking - if these CDs are mastered poorly, would I be able to hear the pop if I were switching between tracks with a CD player?

Administrator

Possibly not.

dBpoweramp Guru

Almost all CD players fade in over anywhere from a tenth of a second to a third of a second when you push "play" (but not between tracks when playing through). Many good mastering engineers usually leave about a third of a second of silence or unimportant material at the beginning of each track to avoid the track being "upcut" when played by itself. Most digital players do not have the fade in.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Almost all CD players fade in over anywhere from a tenth of a second to a third of a second when you push "play" (but not between tracks when playing through). Many good mastering engineers usually leave about a third of a second of silence or unimportant material at the beginning of each track to avoid the track being "upcut" when played by itself. Most digital players do not have the fade in.
    So the fade in is only at the beginning of a CD? I'm thinking a CD player would be able to prevent the pops from being heard because of the way it reads the data vs. the way my computer's drive reads it.

dBpoweramp Guru

The fade in by the player is when you press "play" no matter what track is selected. And this refers to stand-alone CD players. I've never really investigated what your computer does, I suspect it depends on the particular player software. Remember there were stand alone CD players around well before someone chose to put one in a computer.

This makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc410 View Post
    This makes sense. Thanks.
    Hi all

I found the samae problem with two diferent cd.
    I've been doing some test with 2 computers

In the computer A, with dbpoweramp R16.6, when I find the noise, it appear in tracks in flac format,
    I re-recoded from CD , the same results.
    I rip to WAv from dbpoweramp and other software and the result is OK, the noise it isn't at the beginnig of the song.
    I rip from another computer with Dbpoweramp R16 and convert to Flac and I didn't get the noise.

So the diferents are, the CD Unit and the version of flac encoder inside dbpoweramp.
    dbpoweramp R16.6 --> FLAC 1.3.3 BETA
    DBPOWERAMP r16 --> FLAC 1.3.1 . NO BETA version

could be the version of flac the source of the problem? Or is the computer?

Hi all.

Bad news, I make another test.
    With the other CD that I found noise, I rip with R16 to wave and I found the noise at the beginnig again, same noise.
    I move to the second computer and I rip it without noise. Same version of software.

I think now that it could be the dvd unit that have the issue with cd that is not "real" copact disc, in fact, both disc have not compact disc logo, and both came from SONY

If I'll found more information I'll post

thx

Quote Originally Posted by GER View Post
    Hi all

I found the samae problem with two diferent cd.
    I've been doing some test with 2 computers

In the computer A, with dbpoweramp R16.6, when I find the noise, it appear in tracks in flac format,
    I re-recoded from CD , the same results.
    I rip to WAv from dbpoweramp and other software and the result is OK, the noise it isn't at the beginnig of the song.
    I rip from another computer with Dbpoweramp R16 and convert to Flac and I didn't get the noise.

So the diferents are, the CD Unit and the version of flac encoder inside dbpoweramp.
    dbpoweramp R16.6 --> FLAC 1.3.3 BETA
    DBPOWERAMP r16 --> FLAC 1.3.1 . NO BETA version

could be the version of flac the source of the problem? Or is the computer?