title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Dynamic Naming

Dynamic Naming

I am trying to convert my iTunes media (M4A) to MP3. Source files are located: Y:iTunes/iTunes Media/Music Desired output: Z:\Music\. These are both located on a QNAP NAS. I have used "[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]" to successfully remove the "iTunes/iTunes Media" folders in output. I have been unable to remove the /Music folder. I tried adding an additional [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER]but that didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Dynamic Naming

when you added the 3rd TRIMFIRSTFOLDER did you also add a third "[]"?

Unrelated to your question, but curious about why you are converting from m4a to mp3. Typically not a good idea to convert from lossy to lossy. (I'm assuming the m4a is not Apple Lossless).

Thanks for your reply.....adding the third [] fixed it. Now, my rational behind all of this was my desire to rid iTunes from my music narrative. I have 400+ CDs in my music collection. My first effort to computerize was to rip to FLAC. That effort was successful and FLAC files went to a mirrored HD system. I next switched to an Apple household and purchased a QNAP NAS. It was then that I converted the FLAC to Apple M4A. The mirrored HD system eventually crashed, losing the FLAC.....my bad! My current direction is to go with PLEX. As such, I am converting the M4A to Mp3. The MP3s will be on a mapped PLEX/Music drive. I will have both formats on the same NQAP NAS. Sorry for the long answer. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks again for your answer to my problem! Tom

Administrator

You are best ripping again to lossless, have a 2nd backup then have m4a and mp3 created off the flac.

dBpoweramp Guru

You may understand this already, but just in case. As noted, it is a bad idea to convert lossy (m4a) to lossy (mp3). A few thoughts.

1. Best solution is to rerip the 400 CDs to FLAC. Then use FLAC files to create mp3 versions if you need those. Otherwise just use the FLAC files on your home player. But be sure and create at least one full backup of these files. USB drives are cheap. I'd suggest two different USB drive backups, keeping one stored at a different location than your home.

2. Next best solution is to do nothing. Just use the m4a files. Almost all music server/players will play m4a files just like they play mp3 files. It doesn't require itunes to play m4a files. I have a few thousand m4a files and they play just fine on all my players (and I'm not using itunes). I think PLEX will play m4a files just fine. Perhaps you are under the mistaken notion that m4a files *only* play on itunes/apple?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You may understand this already, but just in case. As noted, it is a bad idea to convert lossy (m4a) to lossy (mp3). A few thoughts.

1. Best solution is to rerip the 400 CDs to FLAC. Then use FLAC files to create mp3 versions if you need those. Otherwise just use the FLAC files on your home player. But be sure and create at least one full backup of these files. USB drives are cheap. I'd suggest two different USB drive backups, keeping one stored at a different location than your home.

2. Next best solution is to do nothing. Just use the m4a files. Almost all music server/players will play m4a files just like they play mp3 files. It doesn't require itunes to play m4a files. I have a few thousand m4a files and they play just fine on all my players (and I'm not using itunes). I think PLEX will play m4a files just fine. Perhaps you are under the mistaken notion that m4a files *only* play on itunes/apple?
    But also clarify for me: the m4a files are lossy files, correct? In otherwords, these m4a files are not Apple Lossless files. Apple Lossless also have an "m4a" extension. If these are in fact Apple Lossless, then you can simply convert these files to FLAC. This would be a LOSSLESS > LOSSLESS conversion. And you can also create mp3 files if you need those (converted either from the Apple Lossless or FLAC files).
    Last edited by garym; 10-18-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Spoon. Great to get this feedback. I am learning LOTS by reading these posts.

Thanks garym for your replies. I will get back with you on your questions. However, I do believe what I have are Apple lossy. I will be unable to resume this project until next week. Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    when you added the 3rd TRIMFIRSTFOLDER did you also add a third "[]"?

Unrelated to your question, but curious about why you are converting from m4a to mp3. Typically not a good idea to convert from lossy to lossy. (I'm assuming the m4a is not Apple Lossless).
    This is great solved the problem for me now I get the folder with the music only

dBpoweramp Guru

Excellent

If anyone could put me on the right track that would be great. Trying to use batch COnverter Dynamic naming to remove some Track numbers from my WAV files already encoded. I am converting folders of music to FLAC and creating new folders with just the original music folder and all the tracks within a particular artist/album folder. That works now I learned the trick with :-
    [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][]\[origfilename]
    Adding the third [] was a great tip since it stripped off the folder structure from the source folder. Mac Version BTW.
    My latest problem is the original digitisation process added Track Numbers like this to every track like this:-

[015073] Father, Son.flac

I would like to automate stripping the [015073] incl trailing space from each filename so I just get the track name.

Tried experimenting with [DEL]from,to,string[] but I cannot seem to get it to take any effect?

To be honest not certain where the Title of the track get s defined am I supposed to replace string with some other characters - I need it to work for each track title?

Any jep gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Simon

dBpoweramp Guru

Does "[015073]" actually show up as track number in your metadata, or is this only in your file names. If only in your file names (but metadata track info is correct) does the metadata show track title as "Father, Son"?

And what do you want your actual file names to be?

Father, Son.flac
    or
    01 - Father, Son.flac (assuming 01 is correct track number)
    or
    ????
    Last edited by garym; 11-13-2023 at 05:59 PM.