title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Issues with retrieving Meta Data

Issues with retrieving Meta Data

Hi All,

I've just installed registered Release v16.6 64 bit onto a Windows 10 system. It seems retrieval of Meta Data from any of the active providers will alternately hang the application or on rare occasion work but in a purely random fashion. I can sometimes get one to work and then deselect it and select another and get it to work but often when selecting more than one nothing works. I've read previous posts regarding this and while AMG is no longer a source in this release, am I correct in my understanding that a single failure of any of the providers causes the entire process to stop, or is that no longer the case?

I'm able to reach all the associated websites for these providers, and I do believe I have the configuration of dbpoweramp correct.

Interesting, when any of them do work, either alone or in combination with others, the 'Review Meta Data From Individual Providers' is always blank. So, I never know where the data comes from.

I've tried the trial version for several days prior to purchase on the same system and didn't have these issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Administrator

Re: Issues with retrieving Meta Data

A single provider can lockup the PerfectMETA yes.

I have just tested, metadata came in, 4 seconds is all it took from the four providers.

Under the active providers check from the top : PerfectMETA all the way down to freedb (6 items checked)

Then press the blue refresh button to read again.

Hi Spoon,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Selected all six as instructed above, refreshed, it took 2 minutes and 30 seconds and then before I could select 'Review Metadata' the results vanished.

Refreshed again, this time nothing happened for 5 minutes when I restarted CD Ripper.

Upon restart, results were displayed on the main screen (1.jpg), 'Review Metadata' screen was blank (2.jpg).

Did a re-scan and re-read, this time it took 2 minutes and 55 seconds (3.jpg), 'Review Metadata' screen contained info from 2 providers (4.jpg).

Did another re-scan and re-read, on the third round it took 2 minutes and 53 seconds (5.jpg), 'Review Metadata' screen contained info from 2 providers (5.jpg).

The performance I'm experiencing is quite different than yours, and pretty much borders on being unusable.

Does the fact that the review screen contains data from only two providers mean that the others had no data, or is this normal behavior?

Additional details on my configuration, Windows 10 Version 1903, Build 18362.418, Dell XPS Intel i7-4770, 8 cores @3.40 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Hardwired Ethernet 1Gbps, 100Mbps Internet connection.

Let me know if you require additional info. Are there any log files that get created by this application that could help understand what's happening here?

I understand from reading several other posts that release 17 is coming out shortly, correcting some other mysterious data issues, would this correct any of the problems I have and could I get an upgrade to it as I just purchased 16.6 two days ago?

Thanks -
    1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Administrator

R17 only corrects CD-Text which is removed later on, your test does not read CD text. R17 is quite a while off (over 8 months)

Few things to try:

Start windows in safe mode (with networking) - then run CD Ripper and see if that solves the problem.

OK, running in safe mode w/networking had the same results, around 3 minutes to retrieve data, see 7.jpg and 8.jpg attached.

Looking at the 'Review Metadata' screen got me thinking, so I deselected those 2 providers (Discogs and Music Brainz) that returned no data, cleared track data, re-scanned and reread, results in under 4 seconds. Repeated this multiple times, all with the same results, Metadata retrieved under 4 seconds.

Rebooted out of safe mode and was able to replicate the above results. As long as Discogs and Music Brainz are deselected Metadata is retrieved under 4 seconds. Adding Discogs and Music Brainz as active providers always causes issues.

The only time Metadata retrieval works as it should is if I run excluding Discogs and Music Brainz. Are those sites problematic or is there a potential issue with the query/response causing them to timeout? Do they have any unique port/protocol requirements that I should be aware of?

Related question - is dbpoweramp Cache an 'active' provider with internet retrieval on demand or a local cache created from previous scans?

Making progress, please let me know what our next steps might be to get all providers working.

Thanks -

7.JPG8.JPG

Administrator

Musicbrainz does use a strange port, 3000. Discogs I think is standard, however it looks up the disc on our server first, again using a strange port (around 40000).

The only thing which can block this is security software, or a router which is locked to only set known ports.

Hey Spoon,

Musicbrainz does use port 3000 and Discogs uses port 42531.

A little tweaking on my router FW and all is good, all providers working, response in under 4 seconds, perfect!

One last question about the dbpoweramp Cache, is it an 'active' provider using internet retrieval on demand or a local cache created from previous scans and how does it interact with the other providers?

Thanks for you help -

Administrator

It stores lookups on the HDD, so if the disc is reinserted then it does not need to go to the internet again.