title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Slow Ripping

Slow Ripping

I'm trying to rip a copy of Jocelyn Pook's Untold Things. I gave up about 30% through the first track which was averaging x0.4. Any ideas please? I'm not on the latest dBpwoeramp.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Slow Ripping

When you say copy, do you mean you are ripping an official CD release or a copied version of the official release i.e. copied via a CD burner?

Hi. Thank you for your interest. It's a new CD. There's a logo on the front of the cover reading "GOLD". On the back is a URL a www.realworldrecords.com/gold.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogodei View Post
    I gave up about 30% through the first track which was averaging x0.4.
    How long did you leave it, before giving up? Are you able to rip other CDs?

Personally, I would clean the CD and try ripping again, leaving it to rip or report any errors.

Thanks mville. I've cleaned the CD and tried again with one track with the result below. Another CD ripped perfectly well. It looks to me as though it's either a very unpopular CD or everyone who's tried to rip it has given up.

The CD plays happily with my Blu-ray player and with Windows Media Player although, interestingly, neither can find any metadata while dBpoweramp can. I'll try ripping it with Media Player tomorrow.

Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'Y:\All Classical\Various Composers\Jocelyn Pook\ Untold Things\01 - Dionysus, Jocelyn Pook.flac'
    Track Ripped Insecurely, Cancelling Rip.
    Track Ripped Insecurely.
    Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'Y:\All Classical\Various Composers\Jocelyn Pook\ Untold Things\01 - Dionysus, Jocelyn Pook.flac'
    ** Reached Secure Rip Time Of 10 Minutes
    Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 22545 (5:00) in 10:00. Filename: Y:\All Classical\Various Composers\Jocelyn Pook\ Untold Things\01 - Dionysus, Jocelyn Pook._
    AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 2) Insecure [Pass 1]
    AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 2) Insecure [Pass 1]
    ** Reached Secure Rip Time Of 10 Minutes

I've tried using Windows Media Player to rip the first track and it says it's ripping it and produces a directory titled "Unknown Artist" containing a directory called "Unknown Album" with no tracks in it!

Any further ideas would be welcomed but I think the manufacturer has found a rip-proof feature.

dBpoweramp Guru

If I've googled right, the disc has been released in the year 2001. That could mean that it is copyprotected. You can try to rip it as "defective by design".

Dat Ei

The date against the CD on Amazon is 4th May 2015 although that won't be the original release date. I've tried again with 'defective by design' set, and failed again. The error message did indicate that an HDCD track had been detected.

Thanks for trying Dat Ei. Ogodei

dBpoweramp Guru

The release info is here.

If the Real World Gold CD is not copy-protected, there may be manufacturing errors with that re-release.

Are you able to rip the whole CD and post the full log when complete?

Sorted - well kind of! Up until now I've only tried ripping the first track on the disc - abandoning the later tracks when it was evidently going to be a very slow process. Changing tack slightly I found that tracks 2 to 13 ripped perfectly well using normal secure settings with HDCD set to both 16 and 24 bit. No joy with track 1 though.

mville appears to be right with the idea of manufacturing errors. Examining the disc in a good light there's what appears to be a "wave" in the disc surface, just in from the outer edge - presumably track 1.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. There's a lesson here for me.