title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Artwork in Folder vs Artwork on Each Audio File

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Artwork in Folder vs Artwork on Each Audio File

What are the pros and cons of placing a single file of the artwork in the folder of a project as opposed to right clicking and adding that file to each audio track? I can almost swear that somehow over time artwork seems to disappear from the individual files but the single file in the folder stays in place.

Anyone ever recall that happening or why that happens? How do you do it?

I would think applying it to each file just makes the folder size larger.

Administrator

Re: Artwork in Folder vs Artwork on Each Audio File

The no brainer is to do both, embed and folder.jpg for maximum compatibility.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, embedding in each file will make folder size larger. For example, if you have 15 tracks, you will have 15 copies of art. But does not hurt anything. You can also set dbpa to put large art in folder and smaller copies embedded in each file.
    I have never seen embedded art disappear. However windows media player can do all sorts of bad things with your tags if you are using this as a player.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You can also set dbpa to put large art in folder and smaller copies embedded in each file.
    I only use folder art myself, so I'm guessing a little:

I think that some servers and players always pick embedded art over folder art. In such cases, even if a player could handle the larger folder art, the smaller embedded art would be used instead.

If this is correct it could be disadvantageous to have different sizes for embedded art and folder art in some cases. But of course this depends on your purpose.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    I only use folder art myself, so I'm guessing a little:

I think that some servers and players always pick embedded art over folder art. In such cases, even if a player could handle the larger folder art, the smaller embedded art would be used instead.

If this is correct it could be disadvantageous to have different sizes for embedded art and folder art in some cases. But of course this depends on your purpose.
    You are correct. Depends on server/player. Personally I put a single cover.jpg 1000x1000 art file in each album folder and do not embed art in each file for my FLAC archive. For mp3 copies I use in my portable devices I embed art in each file but at 300x300 size.