title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Multiple drives on MAC

Multiple drives on MAC

Hey there

Purchased an extra drive to import on my iMac but Can’t seem to import from multiple drives on MAC OS- is this a software limitation?

Also batch ripper seems to only be an EXE, can I run on MAC?

Ta

Administrator

Re: Multiple drives on MAC

Batch Ripper will not run on the MAC, sorry.

Super Moderator

Are you trying to rip from multiple drives at once? Or are you completely unable to see your additional drive?

It's a known odd feature of Mac OS that you cannot list drives in the system - only inserted discs, so the drive will show up once you insert a disc into it.

Cheers for response, I was hoping to rip two simultaneously..but I can't even see a way for CD Ripper to switch between two discs.

Can rip at same time with iTunes but obviously I don't want half my discs imported by iTunes and half Accurate :( and have thousands left to do so it's a pain. Might have to get a little windows tower

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Are you trying to rip from multiple drives at once? Or are you completely unable to see your additional drive?

It's a known odd feature of Mac OS that you cannot list drives in the system - only inserted discs, so the drive will show up once you insert a disc into it.

In case anyone stumbles across this thread

Im running dbpoweramp 17.4
    Im running the Reference version (paid and worth every penny!)
    Im running a mid 2012 i5 Macbook pro; 16G RAM and a 2TB SSD (RAM isn't really necessary - most of it is idle)
    Im using OSX Mojave (10.14.06)

Currently I have THREE "cheapie" (GH24NSC)) LG CD Drives.
    I think these will read a CD at 48x (max)
    These drives are currently mounted in OWC enclosures
    The claim is that these enclosures are USB3

These 3 CD are connected to a power USB3 hub
    Plugable USB3-HUB7C
    This is connected to the "closest to the user" USB port.

NOTE - I tried this with TWO of the enclosures connected to each of the USB3 ports on the Mac - and the results were AWFUL
    It was slower than if I had done one at a time!

Anyway - I do notice that there is a slight slow down in the "rip" speed of each drive (when using 3 connected to the USB hub) - possible 10% or so
    I did not time this or do any real testing - this is just anecdotal while looking at the speed that the "percent ripped" bar numbers climb at.

Im using the "FILE" >> "Rip From Multiple Drives" option in dbpoweramp

I have three more cheapie ASUS drives (DRW-24B1ST) sitting on the shelf waiting for parts
    The thought was to try
    a) to connect these to a cheap SATA to USB3 card and then added to the USB3 bug (i.e. 6 drives total)
    b) to connect these to a SATA port multiplier and connect that to a CalDigit TB2 eSATA port and then into the Mac via TB2

The power will come from an ATX power supply jumper to run w/o a MoBo attached

If this doesn't work, then the last step is to get a MoBo and actually build a Win10 Intel machine....

I know Spoon has noted elsewhere on a different thread that "On OSX I would not go more than a few drives ripping at the same time."

Anyway - I hope to find out.

I do find I "catch up" human work load wise and stand around for 2-3 minutes when all 3 drives are going.. Im hoping that 4 to 6 drives has me continuously inserting disc, filing completed disc and manually verifying the Meta data before starting the rip...

I am noticing some annoying "window pop up issues" when running this
    I can't get OSX to stop launching iTunes when a CD is inserted.
    If I am editing a field in dbpoweramp, and iTunes pops up, sometimes the switch over of "focus" will "delete" the data in the field I am working on. This also appears to happen if dbPowerAmp finishes reading the meta tags in a different window and the application "changes focus".

Finally - there's a specific "workflow" for getting this all running...

Insert CDs in ALL the drives you want to use
    Launch dbPowerAmp
    Select FILES >> "Rip from multiple Drives"
    Another window will pop up showing you what drives dbpoweramp can see (this is why CDs need to be in the drives)
    The main dbpoweramp window, appears to act as a sort of "control" screen. It has to remain on the system (in other words, dont click on the red X in the upper corner.
    However, that main screen, seems to show "random" drives. Therefore its very very easy to confuse it with one of the active windows for each drive.
    So minimize that window
    When you click on the Batch run option (after all the CD drives appear), dbpoweramp launches a window for each drive. This is where the data will be for rip progress and other interactions (meta tag editing etc). It appears you can run different settings in each window (one can be burst and the other can be accurate and they can be writing to different file paths).