title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Musicbrainz ARTISTS tag

Musicbrainz ARTISTS tag

Hi all,

I've just discovered Asset and downloaded the free 30 day trial. So far it looks very detailed and promising for an audiophile such as myself. It'll take some time for me to completely assess the software but at first glance i like what i see.
    All of my mp3's are tagged to id3v2.4 using ; as a seperator for my fields that may contain multiple values: GENRE and ARTISTS. See example below

Example track: Swedish House Mafia - Dont you worry child (feat. John Martin)
    Current tags:
    ARTIST: Swedish House Mafia
    ARTISTS: Swedish House Mafia; John Martin

I may not know AUPNP enough yet but at first glance i noticed that the Musicbrainz ARTISTS tag does not appear to be recognised by AUPNP, can anyone confirm this?
    I retagged a test album to make the field ARTIST carry the multiple tags as such:

ARTIST: Swedish House Mafia; John Martin
    ARTISTS: blank

This worked but i thought i would check with the experts to see if AUPNP can be configured to recognise the ARTISTS tag before i go off retagging 15k mp3s

Best Regards

Administrator

Re: Musicbrainz ARTISTS tag

Nothing uses the tag 'Artists', you can add this field to the database and create an entry: artists, but you would be better in the long run using a batch tag processor to move artists to artist.

dBpoweramp should be able to do it with the 'ID Tag Update' utility codec from Codec Central, use batch converter to convert all your music to this 'encoder' it will process the ID Tags, set the map artists >> artist

Try on a few tracks first.

Understood, thanks clarifying and the prompt reply. Its ok i will be able to bulk retag quite easily in MP3tag and modify my workflow for new files should i decide to commit completely to AUPNP.
    I may come post some more questions as i continue my trial analysis.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Nothing uses the tag 'Artists', you can add this field to the database and create an entry: artists, but you would be better in the long run using a batch tag processor to move artists to artist.

dBpoweramp should be able to do it with the 'ID Tag Update' utility codec from Codec Central, use batch converter to convert all your music to this 'encoder' it will process the ID Tags, set the map artists >> artist

Try on a few tracks first.
    Hi @spoon, if i were to add "artists" to Asset is the process the same as https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-add-new-field

Still testing to find the tagging method that best suits all devices/software

you can add this field to the database and create an entry: artists
    Hi Spoon,

I tried to add artists to my AUPNP config files but it didnt work. I entered
    Into AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTreev6
    Artists{_a_to_z_}{_no_track_list_}
    Artists\Album
    Into MediaDatabaseFieldsv5
    t_artists,3,INTEGER

As you can probably guess i have no idea what im doing. Can you help please?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The de facto standard is to use Artist which is supported by every player and server that I've tried. So why complicate things?

Administrator

It is likely this tag cannot be used in Asset, as 'Artist' would match and would be used.

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    The de facto standard is to use Artist which is supported by every player and server that I've tried. So why complicate things?
    In a word... preference

It is likely this tag cannot be used in Asset, as 'Artist' would match and would be used.
    Ok i understand now, thanks for clarifying Spoon. Is there any scope for AU to use these extended tags in the future?
    Although i don't use it (yet but i may be back in the future to try/buy) i believe your dbPowerAmp ripper does lookup from Musicbrainz

I am impressed by AU by the way.... i know i have been asking a lot of questions during my trial i have decided to purchase good job

Administrator

It is unlikely we would specifically make this change as nothing really uses Artists. It is like 'Genre' is the standard, everything uses it, and it would be silly to suddenly use 'Genres' instead.