title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15

    How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    My music is sorted in folders on the NAS:

    An artist name folder contains album name folders. For example I browse under "B" in the folder structure, open Black Sabbath, see 7 album folders, open the album folder I want.

    I can't get Asset to display like that.

    If I search by Artist I get the folder structure I want but it is also populated with the names of artists who appear on compilation albums. In my folder structure I have a Compilation Albums folder (as the Artist name)so I can browse to those albums under "C". I don't want to see the individual tracks from each artist cluttering up the A-Z Artists structure.

    Any ideas welcome!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    With compilation albums I change the Album Artist metadata field to that of the lead artist/band or the album name or the composer with Classical, depending on what makes sense.
    e.g. with Eric Clapton & Friends album its tagged as Eric Clapton in the Album Artist field
    e.g. with the Woman's Heart albums each is tagged Womans Heart 1 & Womans Heart 2
    I also have Album Artist/Album on the browse tree

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Thanks Mike. I'm not sure how I can do that. For instance I ripped a two-disc compilation CD called Back to the Old Skool. I created a folder (using Windows Explorer) on my NAS called Back to the Old Skool and placed the ripped Disk 1 and Disk 2 folders in it.

    When I browse my NAS using Explorer Back to the Old Skool appears under B. And it does when I browse under B using Asset (well, using Bubble UPnP on my phone to browse the library streamed by Asset). The problem is all the artists from that album also appear separately in that a-z listing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    You can't edit metadata with Windows Explorer.
    The obvious way as we are in dBpoweramp forum is with dBpoweramp (other editors are available).
    In Win Explorer open the album & highlight all the tracks.
    Right click & see a popup window, left click on Edit ID-Tag
    New screen is dBpoweramp
    Touch Album Artist line, enter whatever is your choice
    Touch OK (to save)
    Check it out & if that does what you're looking for, good to go.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Quote Originally Posted by tim091 View Post
    The problem is all the artists from that album also appear separately in that a-z listing.
    It is not a problem, in fact it appears to be working correctly i.e. Artists appear correctly in the Artist A-Z listing.

    From what I understand, you want to browse by Album Artist only. To do that, you will have to populate the Album Artist tag, rescan your library in Asset and then in Bubble, browse the tree by Album Artist / Album, as Mike-B has alluded to earlier.

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,903

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Browse by:

    Additional >> File and Folder browsing

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Browse by:

    Additional >> File and Folder browsing
    Thanks but that gives a bizarre result! Whatever letter I select it just displays one album, the same album, Sheryl Crow - Music. Selecting that shows the full list of albums (not just that letter but all a-z) but at least it shows them how I want without individual artist tracks!

    I wonder if it is because the root folder is called Music and that confuses it as the Sheryl Crow album has the same name? I'll try editing it and see.
    Last edited by tim091; 09-27-2019 at 02:09 AM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-B View Post
    You can't edit metadata with Windows Explorer.
    The obvious way as we are in dBpoweramp forum is with dBpoweramp (other editors are available).
    In Win Explorer open the album & highlight all the tracks.
    Right click & see a popup window, left click on Edit ID-Tag
    New screen is dBpoweramp
    Touch Album Artist line, enter whatever is your choice
    Touch OK (to save)
    Check it out & if that does what you're looking for, good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    It is not a problem, in fact it appears to be working correctly i.e. Artists appear correctly in the Artist A-Z listing.

    From what I understand, you want to browse by Album Artist only. To do that, you will have to populate the Album Artist tag, rescan your library in Asset and then in Bubble, browse the tree by Album Artist / Album, as Mike-B has alluded to earlier.
    Thanks guys, that does what I want. However, is there a way of making that the default browsing view instead of having to touch Additional, scroll down to Album Artist/Album and touch that to get to the letter selection?

    Not a huge deal using Bubble UPnP on my phone but my renderers have a tiny display so scrolling down through additional steps on those is a pain.

    Maybe I can configure to Asset to not show the other options: Artist, Album, Title, Composer etc. UPDATE: yes you can. Figured it out: editing the folder tree - pretty obvious really!

    Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by tim091; 09-27-2019 at 02:47 AM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    UPDATE: no it didn't work! All okay on just displaying Album Artist/Album on the browse screen but when I touch an artist it takes me to an A-Z list which contains nothing.

    I'll keep tinkering, I'm sure it's to do with how the tracks are tagged.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Quote Originally Posted by tim091 View Post
    Thanks guys, that does what I want. However, is there a way of making that the default browsing view instead of having to touch Additional, scroll down to Album Artist/Album and touch that to get to the letter selection?
    Set the first line of your browsing configuration to Album Artist/Album

    Asset UPnP - Browse Tree.jpg

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    15

    Re: How to display without artists from compilation albums?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-B View Post
    Set the first line of your browsing configuration to Album Artist/Album

    Asset UPnP - Browse Tree.jpg
    Thanks Mike. That bit is sorted so it only displays the one option Album Artist/Album.

    Problem now is that when I touch that I get an A-Z list (so far so good), I select a letter and it gives me a list of artists correctly, however when I touch an artist to either select the album, or see multiple albums from that artist it displays an A-Z list again with each letter empty.

    Clearly the tags are stuffed up somewhere. I will reset to defaults and work my way through it.

    The only reaason I am doing this is because the built-in media server on the NAS is really flaky.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •