title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ultra Secure on "trial" download

Ultra Secure on "trial" download

I presently use the trial download of dbPowerAmp. More than a few people have insisted (in this forum, and elsewhere) that the trial and paid versions of dbPowerAmp are identical (up to the point of the trial's expiration). Nevertheless, I cannot understand why, in Ultra Secure mode, when I specify that the tool must make a minimum of 3 passes, the tool makes only a single pass (as confirmed by the report). The problem is further evidenced by the fact that the tool rips 45 minutes of music in less than 15 minutes. A coworker uses ExactAudioCopy, and his rips of a single CD sometimes take hours to complete. Am I doing something wrong, or has the trial version of dbPowerAmp been crippled in this respect?

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 2' to 'C:\Users\...\Music\Innovators\Innovators\02 S Cardon, K Bestor, B B Blosil - Saga of Lamberene.flac'
    Track 2: Ripped LBA 13620 to 34557 (4:39) in 0:54. Filename: C:\Users\Administrator\Music\Innovators\Innovators \02 S Cardon, K Bestor, B B Blosil - Saga of Lamberene._
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 6) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: CBF15BC4 AccurateRip CRC: 17A5BAC2 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 011-00172663-00c1e398-a80c200c-2]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 6 [CRCv2 17a5bac2]
    AccurateRip Verified Confidence 5 [CRCv1 cc5aca2b]
    Audio File Passed Verification
    Last edited by Epping4est; 09-23-2019 at 08:23 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ultra Secure on "trial" download

I am not sure where your assumption/question "has the trial version of dbPowerAmp been crippled" and/or there is a problem, stems from.

Your rip has only made a single pass of the track because, on the first read of the track, you have an AccurateRip. This first pass is bit-perfect, so there is no need to re-read the track (which is good news). Why stress the drive more than is necessary, when you have already obtained a bit-perfect rip?

May I also suggest that you do not compare CD Ripper with competitor software i.e. EAC, especially when your assumption is that a rip that takes hours is right and/or that you are doing something wrong. Perhaps your co-worker has say, a faulty optical drive, hasn't configured their optical drive correctly, a damaged CD etc... I could go on.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Epping4est View Post
    I presently use the trial download of dbPowerAmp. More than a few people have insisted (in this forum, and elsewhere) that the trial and paid versions of dbPowerAmp are identical (up to the point of the trial's expiration).
    FYI, a quote taken from the Illustrate website home page:
    dBpoweramp offers a free no-obligation, fully functional trial for 21 days.

I see. Thank you. That likely explains why the last track *does* show multiple passes:
    Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 12' to 'C:\Users\Administrator\Music\Innovators\Innovator s\12 K Bestor - Prayer of the Children.flac'
    Track 12: Ripped LBA 215825 to 232872 (3:47) in 2:01. Filename: C:\Users\Administrator\Music\Innovators\Innovators \12 K Bestor - Prayer of the Children._
    Secure [Pass 1 & 2, Ultra 1 to 3]
    CRC32: B211E943 AccurateRip CRC: BB90EEB9 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 011-00172663-00c1e398-a80c200c-12]
    Audio File Passed Verification
    though I do not yet understand why this track is simultaneously "Secure", but not "Accurate". Perhaps because no errors were detected, but there's no matching CRC in the online DB?

Administrator

Correct the last track did not match AccurateRip. If the previous track confidences were only 2, then it is likely the track is not in the database because of a conflict, but for this disc they were 5 or 6, so I would say your last track has errors.