title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Converter has possible MP3 corruption.

Question Batch Converter has possible MP3 corruption.

When converting some 1500 flac files to mp3 (my car won't play flac) it seems that a number (2 found so far) seem to have been corrupted in that part of 1 file has been included into another. For example the Blue Jays track "Nights Winters Years" when played as mp3 has parts of a Rolling Stones Hot Rocks track in it.

The tracks are fine as flac and only corrupted after the Batch Conversion. Unfortunately the mp3 is too big to attach (6.81MB).

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch Converter has possible MP3 corruption.

To which kind of storage did you convert to?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    To which kind of storage did you convert to?
    ... and please can you supply more information on your system e.g. platform/OS, software versions etc.

Administrator

I can say with a certainty that it is impossible for the converter to do this by way of a bug, that is because the actual conversion engine 'Core Converter' is only told of a single source file and single destination file.

The only way this can happen is if you have a HDD corruption and 2 files are mixed as one in the file system.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    ... and please can you supply more information on your system e.g. platform/OS, software versions etc.
    Win 10 (64) + all current MS updates. Intel i7-6700K; 16GB Ram; 10TB HDs.
    dBpoweramp 16.6 (64)

No known HDD corruptions, all 3 HDDs checked & ok, corruption is only after the flac to mp3 conversion, nowhere else.
    The corrupted mp3 files have the different tracks interwoven: a section of Blue Jays' Nights Winters Years the some of the Stones track, then more Blue Jays, then more Stones. Cleanly interwoven, but sounds very odd.

dBpoweramp Guru

In Windows safe mode, are you able to convert the same files to C:\Test folder, without any corruption?

Also after more than 30years programming "impossible" is a word I stopped using!

I'll give this a try, although I can't think of a scenario where Safe mode would help.

This will take some time, and I'll have to listen to 1500 tracks to hear if any are corrupted.....

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyDrew View Post
    I'll give this a try, although I can't think of a scenario where Safe mode would help.

This will take some time, and I'll have to listen to 1500 tracks to hear if any are corrupted.....
    So, how did you originally find that the mp3 files were corrupted?

Are you now suggesting that the Batch Conversion might not be the culprit here?

Hi,

I discovered 2 corrupt mp3 files by playing them over at least a couple of months... May be more as I've only got to "P" in song sequence.

And I still think the most likely culprit is Batch Converter.

May be worth mentioning that I do a fair bit of file converting via the Batch converter, mainly flac to flac or mp3 to mp3.

The convertion where I think the corruptions occurred was, probably, the largest (1502 files flac to mp3) I've done in a single run.
    Last edited by JeremyDrew; 10-01-2019 at 07:38 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyDrew View Post
    I discovered 2 corrupt mp3 files by playing them over at least a couple of months... May be more as I've only got to "P" in song sequence.

And I still think the most likely culprit is Batch Converter.

May be worth mentioning that I do a fair bit of file converting via the Batch converter, mainly flac to flac or mp3 to mp3.

The convertion where I think the corruptions occurred was, probably, the largest (1502 files flac to mp3) I've done in a single run.
    I also use Win 10 Pro 64-bit, ripping to local HDDs. I have been using Batch Converter to convert my flac library to mp3 for over 10 years and I have not seen the sort of corruption you mention.

Although I cannot say for sure, I wouldn't make assumptions here. If the issue is caused by batch converter, I would expect others to have experienced similar issues.

I think I'll give up on this one. It only happened when doing 1500 once, and it's too much effort to repeat!