title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to rip 20-second snippets (or extract 20 seconds from a completed ripped track)

How to rip 20-second snippets (or extract 20 seconds from a completed ripped track)

I sell CDs online and want to provide sound samples for my customers on my website. I have about 1.2 millions CDs that need 20-second samples recorded for each track.

Is there software that will allows me to set a start and end time for a 20 second segment of the CD to be ripped into mp3? For example, perhaps my sound samples should always start at 0:30 and end at 0:50 in each track. If this software doesn't exist, then is there software that will allow me to trim the tracks in the same way after I've ripped entire CDs to mp3?

Thank you.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: How to rip 20-second snippets (or extract 20 seconds from a completed ripped trac

Interesting. Unless anyone else can think of something better, how about using DSP Effect Maximum Length (set to 1 minute), so you'd have 0:00 to 1:00, followed by DSP Effect Trim - 40 seconds from End (or is it Beginning?)

Re: How to rip 20-second snippets (or extract 20 seconds from a completed ripped trac

Assuming you are working with mp3s as input files, I would try mp3directcut by Martin Pesch. It has a batch processing function (although I only ever used it on single tracks myself).

If you are inputting something else, say, flacs or waves, you may want to look into ffmpeg, which is an extremely powerful command-line tool that can handle pretty much anything to do with video and audio, but has something of a learning curve (at least I always found it daunting, and I generally just google whatever I need and will usually, thanks to the tool's popularity, find a ready answer on stackexchange and similar sites).