title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member and basic ripping set up.

New member and basic ripping set up.

Hi,
    Just recently bought dbpa with the intention of ripping my cd collection. My simple process is to use dbpa to rip each cd to flac (for archive purposes and for possible hard drive hifi set up in the future and dedicated portable player) and 320 mp3 (for tablet, phone etc)
    I'm not planning on playing anything via my laptop, it's just a tool for the ripping process, storage and distribution to other devices.
    My queries are - best ripping process?
    - best software for simple transfer of albums to devices?
    So far I tried simply ripping the cd twice which worked well for me and there were no issues.
    I also tried setting up dbpa to do the flac and mp3 rip at the same time but i found when I tried this that often the basic tag info would differ. For example, part of album name missing or genres being different etc
    I know another option would be to rip to flac and transfer to mp3.
    With me having more spare time than technical knowledge...haa....I'm considering just ripping twice.
    What are peoples thoughts on that?
    I read that people like foobar if they are listening to music using the laptop and the wmp gets a bit of a bashing.
    I will be using an app called Rocketplayer on my phone and tablet and only using the laptop for transfer so would wmp be ok for the simple process of clicking and dragging albums as long as I disable any other actions on it?
    Apologies for the length of message and basic knowledge. I'll get there hopefully with some good help on here.
    Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: New member and basic ripping set up.

Do not rip twice. Just use the dbpa converter application to convert your flac files to mp3. And I would not let WMP touch my files. The program is turned off on all my windows computers. Look into foobar2000 mobile.

Cheers for the reply Gary.
    Is it easy to carry out the conversion?
    Im trying to make it as easy as possible with my limited knowledge. I liked the way that ripping it twice created the two albums in flac and mp3 and opening wmp, if only to transfer it to my phone showed me two seperate album arts for said album. One marked flac and the other mp3.
    Simple enough for my brain to handle...haha
    Would this be the same using the conversion tool and then using foobar for transferring files to my devices?
    Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Conversion is just as easy as reripping. Review the help info on conversion then post any questions you have.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Tried the convertor Gary.
    So easy!!!
    Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Be very careful allowing WMP to access to your audio files. My advice is DO NOT let WMP anywhere near your files.

What are the issues people have experienced with wmp?
    Just to test how my simple system would work i ripped a cd with dbpa to flac then used the convertor to convert to mp3 which was simple.
    My next step was using wmp only for transfer of files to other devices. Upon opening the album on wmp i have two copies of the album art, one marked mp3 and the other marked flac. All very clearly displayed and ready for me simply to transfer.
    Can wmp do something to my files if I'm only using it for this purpose?
    I downloaded foobar and when i opened it it only recognised and displayed the flac copy of the album.
    Could this be to do with how my converted mp3 album is stored?
    Dbpa puts it into the same folder as my flac album so i have, ex. Track 1 flac, track 1 mp3, track 2 flac, track 2 mp3........in the one folder for that album.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Youngstu View Post
    Dbpa puts it into the same folder as my flac album so i have, ex. Track 1 flac, track 1 mp3, track 2 flac, track 2 mp3........in the one folder for that album.
    I wouldn't do that. Rip to a FLAC folder, then convert to an MP3 folder. If you can, do all the ripping first, then use batch converter to convert them either all in one go or in batches, overnight if necessary, depending on how many of course.

Can you tell me how to set up different file locations for the flac and mp3 on dbpa?
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

In CD Ripper, there's a Path field (bottom right). This would be your FLAC root folder.

In Batch Oonverter, there's Output Location, which would be where you set your MP3 root folder as Folder. You can't get to that to set it until you have selected your files to convert:
    Capture.JPG

dBpoweramp Guru

You have to use the "Multi Encoder". Once you have selected "Multi Encoder" you can add multiple encoders (like mp3, flac or what ever). For each and every encoder you have then to configure the output path and naming.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ahh yes, of course, the Multi-Encoder would be far far better. Sorry, I've never used it forgot it even existed!

Thanks Timster and Dat. I've been trying this out just converting one album to mp3.
    I read somewhere to set theoutput to Dynamic Naming and use Mp3\[origpath]\[origfilename]
    This worked fine but meant me having to select c:, mp3, users, name, music, band name, album name....just to get to the files whereas to get to my flac files its just music, band name, album name.
    Please forgive the lack of knowledge here but how can i send the mp3 files to open in a location under music?
    Ex. Music, mp3, band name, album name

dBpoweramp Guru

Where do the flac files come from? Did you rip them yourself? If this is the case have a look at the output path and naming in CD Ripper. Try to copy the path and naming string.

I for myself would like to have separate directories for the flac and the mp3 files. I.e. something like c:\music\flac\... and c:\music\mp3\...

Dat Ei