title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Building a dedicated PC for CD Ripping Suggestion

Building a dedicated PC for CD Ripping Suggestion

Dear all experienced experts,

I am going to build a dedicated Mini-ITX PC which will be feeding LPS for CD Ripping, and the drive would be Pioneer S12J-X. If I am going to have option of either putting the drive using internal SATA cable or another external USB enclosure using USB cable, which option should be the best in terms of SQ (I am the believer of different PC config/Rom drive giving different SQ event is is perfect-bit ripping)?

Also, if SATA option is preferred, should I also better use a separate PCI-E SATA controller card for this?

Thank you all for advice and comment.
    Last edited by edgarau; 08-11-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Administrator

Re: Building a dedicated PC for CD Ripping Suggestion

Both methods will give bit for bit identical files, however direct SATA is preferred for speed.

Exclamation Re: Building a dedicated PC for CD Ripping Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by edgarau View Post
    Dear all experienced experts,

[...]
    which option should be the best in terms of SQ (I am the believer of different PC config/Rom drive giving different SQ event is is perfect-bit ripping)?

Not sure what you mean by SQ, sound quality?
    If so, that is a false belief.
    There is absolutely no need to invest in any fancy hardware whatsoever for ripping. It will produce the exact same result as the cheapest machine you can find (assuming it doesn't produce read errors and there's no other forms of data corruption, of course).

The only thing worth looking into is a number of different cd drives, because they don't all do equally well with "difficult to read" disks, for instance.
    Myself, I have a whole chest of old used drives I bought off eBay for a few bucks. Whenever a rip goes poorly, I just give it a go with a different drive, and usually that fixes things (unless the disk is proper messed up).
    Last edited by wahnsinn; 08-27-2019 at 03:47 PM.